Pompell Derailment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Pompell Derailment

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

While traveling east on M-57 before sunset Friday evening, I noticed a grain car tipped over just west of Pompell
on the GLC spur heading out west from Ashley, Michigan.

A team was on site transferring the spilled grain car lading into a truck when these photos were captured.
Perhaps someone else may know more about what happened here. Fresh ties were already dumped
near the site to reconstruct the trackage. No other info other than photos.

John
Attachments
POMPELL DERAILMENT 2.jpg
POMPELL DERAILMENT 3.jpg
POMPELL LOCATION.jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Pompell Derailment

Unread post by AARR »

This is the first I heard of the accident. Wonder what happened? I know they've been working on this segment to build it up.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:This is the first I heard of the accident. Wonder what happened? I know they've been working on this segment to build it up.
Look at the first picture. It appeared the rail snapped. This could be the case since most, if not all of the Middleton Branch has rail lighter than 100 lbs.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Cause: Volcanic disonence....
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by barnstormer »

MiRailProductions wrote:
AARR wrote:This is the first I heard of the accident. Wonder what happened? I know they've been working on this segment to build it up.
Look at the first picture. It appeared the rail snapped. This could be the case since most, if not all of the Middleton Branch has rail lighter than 100 lbs.
I suspect harmonic rock, as the 2nd picture shows disturbed ties under the nearer, upright car, which also derailed. But who knows? It could have been a split bear or wheel, broken joint-bar, wide gauge, or overspeed....I'm sure the investigation will determine the cause.....then they'll find a way to blame the crew.

-barny

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Its Pompeii, not Pompell.

Most of that rail is so old I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Hey thanks for pointing out the miss spelling. I won't even attempt to blame it on auto select.

I thought the two "L's" looked weird.

Anyway, thanks for noting the error.

John

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

The pronunciation seems to be pomp-E-I, some things in Michigan are just different.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

About 4-5 years ago Chris Bagwell, GLC's President, gave a very nice presentation at the AARRT&HA annual meeting. He said GLC is committed to improving the Middleton Branch's track but it will have to be done within the confines of the revenue the branch generates which at the time was about half a million annually.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

barnstormer wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:
....I'm sure the investigation will determine the cause.....then they'll find a way to blame the crew.

-barny
The EOT will determine any blame for the crew.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun