Has anyone seen the PGA Special

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Has anyone seen the PGA Special

Unread post by twropr »

Amtrak was supposed to run a Chicago-St. Joseph train on May 26 for the PGA tournament. Any reports from you who have seen it will be appreciated.
Andy

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Has anyone seen the PGA Special

Unread post by ~Z~ »

There were a few posts about it in the CSX train location update thread seen here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35856&start=320#p398491
From Justin_gram at 8:13pm on Saturday May 26th:
After stopping in Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, P955-27 was west by Vine CG 92 at 19:30 with Siemens 4614, 3 Superliners, and Siemens 4613.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

The train ran to Benton Harbor, letting people off on North Shore Drive, right by the Sr. PGA enterance. Train parked about 50 yards north on track 1 for the day. Didn’t get to see it at the stop, was working Sr. PGA at the time. Saw it later by my place on the return trip.

I can’t access this, but if any of you can: http://www.heraldpalladium.com/news/loc ... 7fa43.html

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Article says only 25 people rode the train to the PGA in Benton harbor.. that's a pretty sad use for 3 superliners and 2 engines.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

~Z~ wrote:Article says only 25 people rode the train to the PGA in Benton harbor.. that's a pretty sad use for 3 superliners and 2 engines.
That’s a shame. One thing to note—they did stop at the St. Joe station first, so spouses and kids not into golf could have gone to the beach or downtown. But even if there was a 50/50 split of golf fans to non-golf-fans, that would be an equally sad rider count of 50.

I hope they run the tulip train again. The day I rode the Tulip Time special, it seemed well patronized. Business class was full and it seemed like a decent number in coach. Seems like a reasonable chance. But it seems the PGA train was not a success.