H&H Feed and Grain

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

H&H Feed and Grain

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Howdy,

Is H&H Feed and Grain a CN customer? They’re right off the South Bend Sub in Vicksburg near W Ave and appeared to have a lead into one of the buildings on the property but I can’t remember if there were any cars there the last time I was in the area.

I ask because yesterday, South County Fire responded to a grain silo collapse where one of the silos came down 1/4 of the way and started “spewing grain in three separate areas” according to SCF. Sounded bad, said there was a risk of a adult explosion, and that they shut the tracks down until it was safe.

Thanks
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: H&H Feed and Grain

Unread post by AARR »

I don't think they've shipped by rail in a very long time. Seems like they stopped in the late 80's or early 90's.
NSSD70ACe wrote:Howdy,

Is H&H Feed and Grain a CN customer? They’re right off the South Bend Sub in Vicksburg near W Ave and appeared to have a lead into one of the buildings on the property but I can’t remember if there were any cars there the last time I was in the area.

I ask because yesterday, South County Fire responded to a grain silo collapse where one of the silos came down 1/4 of the way and started “spewing grain in three separate areas” according to SCF. Sounded bad, said there was a risk of a adult explosion, and that they shut the tracks down until it was safe.

Thanks
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The switch goes into Harborlite next door.

Spilling grain poses an engulfment risk. If there was an explosion risk it would be the potential of dust knocked loose at the top of the silo being ignited.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

According to Google images, H&H has no siding. However I'm sure it did once upon a time. Right next door is Harborlite Corporation, which deals in perlite, and has a siding on CN which is active.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

trainjunkie47 wrote:According to Google images, H&H has no siding. However I'm sure it did once upon a time. Right next door is Harborlite Corporation, which deals in perlite, and has a siding on CN which is active.
That’s more than likely the case. I was basing my post off of a photo I had taken at W Ave a couple years ago looking SW towards the silos and must’ve misinterpreted where the points were.

Thanks for the info everyone.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

PatAzo wrote:Spilling grain poses an engulfment risk. If there was an explosion risk it would be the potential of dust knocked loose at the top of the silo being ignited.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Interesting video. What you see happening is the fast spill from the elevated location aerating the dust. The ignition source (sparks from the collapsing silo or electrical wiring) ignites the aerated dust. The fire is over very quickly as the dust cloud is consumed. The grain didn't burn.