CSX To End Domestic Intermodal Service To Detroit

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

CSX To End Domestic Intermodal Service To Detroit

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

I didn't feel like registering for the full article, but you can see the synopsis. Are these the trains that use the ex-Pennsy line out of Carleton, the Lincoln Secondary, or whatever it is called now?

https://www.joc.com/rail-intermodal/cla ... 80516.html

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX To End Domestic Intermodal Service To Detroit

Unread post by JoJames »

I didn’t read the article. No expert either on this subject but CSX could be still getting International business at Detroit. Especially with Canada so close.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The latest Trans Mag has an extensive article about how railroads would be able to develop shorter distance intermodal (500 miles and less) successfully. Maybe CSX should read the article :wink: .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Bad news for CSX is good news for CN, CP, NS. They will more then likely see an uptick in domestic intermodal business. :)

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Face it, CSX is slowly going out of business. Their non-railroad equity holders are leeching away at the assets and eroding the business such that CSX will die a slow death. Repetitive, wholesale reorganizations. Masses of experienced people simply let go on a moment's notice. Network fluidity brought to a near standstill. Business opportunities simply turned away. None of that spells healthy. Reminds me of what I saw when I worked at Penn Central. History repeats itself.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I would think that Q-131 & Q-132 would still operate because of their Mexico destinations.
Yes, this train normally can be seen on the Lincoln Secondary track.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Fred wrote:I would think that Q-131 & Q-132 would still operate because of their Mexico destinations.
Yes, this train normally can be seen on the Lincoln Secondary track.

The Lincoln Secondary was the former Pennsy RR trackage and was used by the old PRR passenger trains 368/369 the Red Arrow between Toledo and Detroit FSUD via trackage right on the former C&) Railway Line between Toledo and Carleton until its final run July 25, 1959.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

From what I've seen, most of if not basically all of CSX's intermodal business in and out of Detroit is international, so I don't think much will change.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/