Brush Cutting on the old NYC/MC

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Brush Cutting on the old NYC/MC

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Noticed last week that the very thick brush on the old NYC on the northwest corner of the 44th St. and Kalamazoo intersection in Grand Rapids has been cut down but not cleared. Anyone have an idea as to who might be doing the clearing and why? Current records show that NS (Pennsylvania LLC if you want to get technical) still retains this property right up to the intersection, despite about a half mile to 1 mile of rails being gone from the current End of Trackage at the power substation behind Steelcase on what is now known as the Hastings Lead.

Obviously NS doesn't operate this but were the last ones to do so before the lease to the Grand Elk took over operations years ago, and before that Conrail had a pretty extensive switching local that used to operate these tracks as well in the 80's and 90's when the remainder was acquired from the state after the KBEC backfired. To me it doesn't make sense to lay pavement down for a trail extension that would stretch such a short distance, and the only way it would connect to the rest of the Thornapple Trail Network would be crossing the very busy intersection.

Has NS been shedding property that is not relevant to them to make a quick buck? The property to me wouldn't yield much value considering the disgusting state of that row, virtually impassible before the brush was cut, full of illegally dumped trash and refuse, and ties most likely treated with creosote still in the ground slowly rotting away (rails were lifted, however ties were left in place all the way up to the intersection).
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Brush Cutting on the old NYC/MC

Unread post by ~Z~ »

They've been cutting around the powerlines on Kalamazoo Ave between 32nd and 44th St the last few weeks and I imagine this is probably a part of the same project.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Drove by there last night. Sure looked like power line clearing to me. As for NS shedding property. The DNR tried to buy from Turner north to North Park St for 8 years. No sale. DNR appraisal was $650,000 for pretty much swamp land and in the 100 year floodplain. NS wanted $1.4 million and wouldn't budge. Their appraiser valued it the same as fully improved industrial park property. Totally off base. (Note: I've had my appraisal values validated by the MDOT real estate reviewers:) )

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:Drove by there last night. Sure looked like power line clearing to me. As for NS shedding property. The DNR tried to buy from Turner north to North Park St for 8 years. No sale. DNR appraisal was $650,000 for pretty much swamp land and in the 100 year floodplain. NS wanted $1.4 million and wouldn't budge. Their appraiser valued it the same as fully improved industrial park property. Totally off base. (Note: I've had my appraisal values validated by the MDOT real estate reviewers:) )
NS still owns the GR&I ROW north to the site of the old diamond with CSX?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Raildudes dad wrote:Drove by there last night. Sure looked like power line clearing to me. As for NS shedding property. The DNR tried to buy from Turner north to North Park St for 8 years. No sale. DNR appraisal was $650,000 for pretty much swamp land and in the 100 year floodplain. NS wanted $1.4 million and wouldn't budge. Their appraiser valued it the same as fully improved industrial park property. Totally off base. (Note: I've had my appraisal values validated by the MDOT real estate reviewers:) )
Not sure if they're working on the trail project yet. There is a plan in the works to have a trail follow the old interurban railway from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids (or vice versa).
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jim_c wrote:
Not sure if they're working on the trail project yet. There is a plan in the works to have a trail follow the old interurban railway from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids (or vice versa).
I've heard of that. Save for a few short segments and some missing bridges most of the infrastructure to make that happen is still in place. Your biggest issue there would be negotiating with the power companies to let you build on their property and to clear brush, as they'd still need access to their lines.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

MQT1223 wrote:Obviously NS doesn't operate this but were the last ones to do so before the lease to the Grand Elk took over operations years ago, and before that Conrail had a pretty extensive switching local that used to operate these tracks as well in the 80's and 90's when the remainder was acquired from the state after the KBEC backfired.
Minor point but I was under the impression Conrail did not take over any of the KBEC trackage. Conrail ownership extended to "Dutton", which appeared to be far enough out of town to keep all the Grand Rapids customers under Conrail service.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I have the same understanding as Ben but maybe we’re both wrong :?
Ben Higdon wrote:Minor point but I was under the impression Conrail did not take over any of the KBEC trackage. Conrail ownership extended to "Dutton", which appeared to be far enough out of town to keep all the Grand Rapids customers under Conrail service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Conrail offloaded everything south of Dutton to the state, which then contracted with the KBEC to operate it. When KBEC ceased operations, Conrail did not take any of the track back.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Under state subsidy, Conrail operated from Dutton to Vermontville from 4/1/76 until 7/16/79, when KBE took over under subsidy. I don't have proof at hand but I'm guessing that the Penn Central estate remained the actual track owner past Dutton, and was the party that ultimately scrapped the track.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Not sure if they're working on the trail project yet. There is a plan in the works to have a trail follow the old interurban railway from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids (or vice versa).[/quote]

I've heard of that. Save for a few short segments and some missing bridges most of the infrastructure to make that happen is still in place. Your biggest issue there would be negotiating with the power companies to let you build on their property and to clear brush, as they'd still need access to their lines.[/quote]

They had some public hearings last fall. Apparently Consumers Energy is on board. As long as the keep the trail wide enough, there shouldn't be a problem for the trucks.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.