GLC 382 question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 382 question

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I saw a video of the GLC 382 on youtube. Some are calling it an SD40-2 and Some an SD40. To me it looks like an SD40. Just wondering if anyone knows if it was rebuilt as an SD40-2? Also does anyone know the history of the locomotive? Who it was originally built for and such. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC 382 question

Unread post by AARR »

I believe it has been upgraded to -2 specifications. I haven’t had an opportunity to research its heritage yet.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

KVERBERK wrote:I saw a video of the GLC 382 on youtube. Some are calling it an SD40-2 and Some an SD40. To me it looks like an SD40. Just wondering if anyone knows if it was rebuilt as an SD40-2? Also does anyone know the history of the locomotive? Who it was originally built for and such. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
GLC 382 use to be CITX 3089/GCFX 3089/CRLX 609/CR 6262/PC 6262, quite the history if you ask me, here's a pic of it in Conrail Paint http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1070042
I'm here

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Here's a picture of it in PC Paint.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3109323
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Wow that's pretty cool to see it in conrail and penn central paint! Pretty neat to see an old SD40 still working even if it has been upgraded to -2 specs.
Thanks for the replies.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

I'd be curious to know when the last freight train was pulled by a 6-axle locomotive west of Cadillac, and could that Penn Central SD40 have ran on those same Ann Arbor rails in its youth? :)
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think AA rented some LS&I 6-axle units a few winters during the late 1960's that might have run between Cadillac and Frankfort.
Todd_F wrote:I'd be curious to know when the last freight train was pulled by a 6-axle locomotive west of Cadillac, and could that Penn Central SD40 have ran on those same Ann Arbor rails in its youth? :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Don do you know did they car ferry them over? What was LS&I using back then? Interesting none the less.

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

Todd_F wrote:I'd be curious to know when the last freight train was pulled by a 6-axle locomotive west of Cadillac, and could that Penn Central SD40 have ran on those same Ann Arbor rails in its youth? :)
Could have
I'm here

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Good question. I'd have to review my mountain of AARRH&TA Newsletters to confirm but from memory I'm not aware of pictures that would prove they came over by ferry but I believe there is a witness who says he saw them.
Super Chief wrote:Don do you know did they car ferry them over? What was LS&I using back then? Interesting none the less.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Speaking of 6 axles. I have the Morning Sun book on the DT&I there is pictures in there of LS&I U25Cs being leased to them. I think it says in there how they got there im away from home right now and can't look at the book at this time.