LSRC Gaylord & Alpena Movements

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GT Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC Gaylord & Alpena Movements

Unread post by GT Railfan »

Hello Everyone! It's been a while since I've been around (a few years). Life gets in the way sometimes don't it? :D

I was just wondering, when movements are usually made on the Gaylord and Alpena branches. With some time off still remaining, I am hoping to get some shots in while I can. I haven't stayed up to date in a while, so please forgive me if these are questions that have worn out their welcome around here. Thanks Everyone!
Take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the Ice! lol

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: LSRC Gaylord & Alpena Movements

Unread post by SD80MAC »

My info is a couple of years old, but AFAIK as I know it's still accurate. The Alpena train arrives in Alpena anywhere between 6 am and 9 am. The Alpena crew then takes whatever power was on the train and spends the day switching the industries around town. When they're done, the crew will build the southbound train and the "road crew" will take it south, sometime in the evening.

As far as trains to Gaylord, I think they're currently running up there one or two days a week from Grayling.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Train normally departs Alpena south M-F between 430pm & 700pm. (I was there in Sep't & train left at 445pm)
Train arrives Alpena from Bay City anywhere betwen 5am & 700am.
Train into Gaylord s sort of a "hit & miss" operation. I don't think there is any set type schedule.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

The Gaylord train runs approximately once per week. There is no set weekday or time. They can be here at 8:30a or 4:00p or any time in between.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

When the new mill in Grayling opens LSRC may add a 2nd shift to their Grayling Job
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Google maps doesn't anything where the new plant is concerned. Has anyone seen a diagram of what the track arrangement will be? I was told later this year towards fall they were supposed to open. When I was up there Thursday there's piles of new ties along the right of way north of 4 mile. The buildings themselves look mostly complete from the outside except for some roofing near the peaks. Although it won't effect lake state from what I have heard the lake city mill will be adding a production shift in the fall once this board plant opens. The new dryer going into mcbain is supposed to coincide roughly with the opening of this board plant in order to dry all the extra lumber being made. Although conjecture on my part I expect it was put there since it's on an active rail line for ease of shipping. The lake city mill has most of it's dryer shuttered since last year along with the plainer mill. Production only runs 3-4 days a week due to an over abundance of byproducts.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

KC8RBK wrote:Google maps doesn't anything where the new plant is concerned. Has anyone seen a diagram of what the track arrangement will be? I was told later this year towards fall they were supposed to open. When I was up there Thursday there's piles of new ties along the right of way north of 4 mile.

Here's a rough sketch of where the new trackage will be. Also a siding or two next to the mainline north of 4 Mile Rd.
Not sure of the exact trackage into plant, would think there would be couple of tracks on plant property.

ROW grading is done and most likely track has began to be installed.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"