JAIL MLK Crossing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: JAIL MLK Crossing

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Here are a couple/three pictures from the end of the line taken on a hot July summer night in 2013.

The loaded flat car crossing S. Washington Avenue was captured in November, 2012.

I seem to remember one could almost walk faster than the train when it traveled those last sections of trackage.

For quite a while there was a lone, stripped out wig wag crossing signal further north of S. Washington that I believe is now gone.

John
Attachments
Load crossing S. Washington
Load crossing S. Washington
Looking southwest toward the very end of the line.
Looking southwest toward the very end of the line.
Looking northeast toward MLK
Looking northeast toward MLK

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

The wig-wag crossing was Isbel st. The last I knew the pole and housing was still there.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

Is there a chance they're just changing this crossing to exempted since its rarely used? That would be the most logical for a line like this considering the amount of traffic it sees. Lights are way over kill.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railrod1949 wrote:
jrgerber wrote:Was there or will there be a formal Abandonment of the Line? Wasnt this part of the lakeshore and michigan Southern that ran north from Jonesville to Lansing Cant remember when it was abandoned
That's correct! Please see my earlier story above!! It was abandoned in 1940 between Albion and Lansing.
You can still clearly see remnants of the ROW in the satellite image, running SW from Jolly Rd down to Dimondale. On a good day, you can still spot it while driving along I-96 as well.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

KC8RBK wrote:Is there a chance they're just changing this crossing to exempted since its rarely used? That would be the most logical for a line like this considering the amount of traffic it sees. Lights are way over kill.
I don't know why I didn't even consider that. That would make more sense about why no one had heard anything concerning an abandonment.

Anyway, I was just down there about an hour ago. Looks like they've only taken down the cantilever on the west side of the crossing so far.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Apparently the signal was taken down for repair and maintenance and is now back up

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

I heard from an old friend at the FRA that the signal was stolen by thieves. Wonder who has it in their backyard?

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

jrgerber wrote:Apparently the signal was taken down for repair and maintenance and is now back up
Yep, was just down there a few hours ago and was surprised to see it. It makes more sense since I was wondering why they hadn't taken down the other one.