New "Study" for train service to Traverse City!!!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: New "Study" for train service to Traverse City!!!!

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Lake Central Railtours ran some trains up to the Cherry festival. I'd usually be the conductor NB, Marc Kalis SB. Had my daughter meet us in TC with the jetski. We'd jetski and kayak while the folks were in town.
My observation was if they run a train every year, initial interest is high but falls off as the novelty wears off. "We can ride it next year" LCRT initial Melonfest excursions would be hundreds per trip. later years a couple hundred per weekend was the norm.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New "Study" for train service to Traverse City!!!!

Unread post by NYCMan »

The study is in! The passenger service to run between Ann Arbor and Traverse City will fetch in annual revenue of over $128 Million! (Now, honestly folks, did you expect the study to say anything less?) Can't wait to see this "highly profitable" train service being put into action!

Given that Amtrak's Wolverine Service (Pontiac to Chicago) fetchs in annual revenue of approximately $19 Million, I'd really like to see the proponents of the Ann Arbor/Traverse City passenger rail service show what can be done to make the Wolverine Service bring in 7 times the existing revenue.

However, I strongly suspect that, what is not reported in the "report", is that the $128 Million revenue is based upon the Taxpayers kicking in about $128 Million per year.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 564374002/