Yuma

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Wexford Sand Company in Yuma

Unread post by David Lang »

Has anyone heard the latest with Wexford Sand in Yuma?

Is it still shutdown permanently?

What will be the future of the GLC branch to Yuma I wonder. Probably not a good future since that was the only customer on the line. Too bad for sure.

David Lang

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Wexford Sand Company in Yuma

Unread post by AARR »

Still shut down last I heard. Maybe they use the branch for storage? Guess they make as much profit on the tank car business into and around Cadillac as they did with the sand cars with less wear and tear on the track.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

The mining equipment/machinery has been dismantled and removed from the site for the most part. I went by there a couple weeks ago when there was a line of trucks all loaded and in line to leave the plant. The sand silos were still there though. Coincidently, GLC showed up with about 33 sand cars (various reporting marks SHPX, FURX, GACX, NAHX). They pushed them onto the loading track, but just for storage (there were about 20 more on the main). There are about 30+ commuter cars on the very end of the line, and then a couple cuts totaling about 35 cars further up the line (Boon) in a siding, all TSBY/GLC cars (been there for at least a couple years).

Other than that, the rest of the line is clear of cars. When I was down there, GLC crews were removing the crossing gate protection at the M-115 crossing near 13th Street (Cadillac West).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

There have been numerous talks about a landfill in the Yuma-Mesick area, but they get killed as fast as they crop up. The one interest a few years ago wanted to re-install several miles of rail from the current end of the line. My guess is, its never going to happen.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

trainjunkie47 wrote:There have been numerous talks about a landfill in the Yuma-Mesick area, but they get killed as fast as they crop up. The one interest a few years ago wanted to re-install several miles of rail from the current end of the line. My guess is, its never going to happen.
Relaying to Mesick, huh? That's a nice dream! I too doubt it'd ever happen, but stranger business ideas have happened... :D
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Since the mid 1990's there is occasional talk about trash burning plants or dump sites going in between Yuma and Thompsonville. And there is always talk about it coming in by rail (although one proposal had it coming over into Elberta by barge).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Passenger cars at Yuma, The 3:10 to Yuma !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalra ... ateposted/

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Yuma

Unread post by TC railman »

How often do trains go the Wexford sand in Yuma?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Yuma

Unread post by TC Man »

TC railman wrote:How often do trains go the Wexford sand in Yuma?

I'd say as needed. Seems to be several days a week. Best advise- watch the GLC train updates thread- AANscalerunner is wonderful about updating most every day.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC railman »

TC Man wrote:
TC railman wrote:How often do trains go the Wexford sand in Yuma?

I'd say as needed. Seems to be several days a week. Best advise- watch the GLC train updates thread- AANscalerunner is wonderful about updating most every day.
Ok! Thanks for letting me know!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This question is from the other board.
Posted by Gary on 3/7/2022, 12:05 pm
Are there any sand trains coming out of Yuma? Or is the pit/mine shut down again?
Several years ago the pit reopened and shipped quite a few sand cars for Halliburton over a period of several months. But then as fast as it opened it closed again and haven't run any sand since.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They completely dismantled all of the equipment there, as far as I know. Won't ever be sand mined there again without a major, major investment.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

I believe the last loads of sand left Yuma on July 3, 2018 looking back at my videos/written records.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Seems now would be an opportune time to reopen it!
January 24 article: https://www.ttnews.com/articles/oil-exp ... -inflation
"Even something as mundane as the sand Halliburton blasts into wells to help fracture oil-soaked rocks is getting harder to source, CEO Jeff Miller said during a conference call with analysts."

“This is a fantastic set of conditions for Halliburton,” Miller said. “Our current completion tool order book has more than doubled from a year ago, signaling strong growth and profitability again in 2022.”

mowingman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mowingman »

One big problem with places like Yuma, is that many more types of sand can be used for fracking, than was previously thought. Many specialty sand companies have gone out of business, as more types of sand are found to be suitable for fracking. Brady, Texas used to ship thousands of carloads of frack sand all over the US. Now, more local sand sources are being used, and virtually all of the sand operations near Brady have closed, which has lead to the closing of the Central Texas RR that ran into Brady. I do not know the details, but various sands can now be crushed and screened for use as frack sand. So, places like Yuma, that lived on the oil industry, are no longer needed nearly as much.
Jeff

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is foundry sand still mined and used anywhere?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Is the Yuma branch MDOT owned, or GLC owned?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Being that it’s part of the former AA mainline, I assume the state owns it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

AARR wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:14 pm
Is foundry sand still mined and used anywhere?
nugant