Amtrak Extra - Tulip Time

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Extra - Tulip Time

Unread post by TSS »

Back in February, the state rep. from Hudsonville was pushing for an Amtrak special to serve Tulip Time. (Note the typo in the article; the second Saturday of the festival is May 12, not May 15).

It would appear he has been successful. I can't find any official announcements yet, but Amtrak's ticketing site is now selling tickets for trains 374 and 375, scheduled for May 5 and 12, 2018.

Train 374 Station
7:05 AM Chicago
10:01 AM St. Joseph
10:37 AM Bangor
11:29 AM Holland

Train 375 Station
5:50 PM Holland
6:33 PM Bangor
7:11 PM St. Joseph
8:24 PM Chicago

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Extra - Tulip Time

Unread post by NS3322 »

Are they going to put a banner on the front of a Siemens Charger??? :lol:
Photos by Tom Golden and Chuck Zeiler.
Photos circa 1982/1984.
Last edited by NS3322 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Yes, of course. With those newfangled LED message boards on the nose, it will be quick, easy, and the only cost will be a few electrons. But it will have all the charm and grace of an East German shopping mall. :roll:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

How long are these extra trains for something like this? Is it an excursion style train or is it more like trains 372 and 373 that run for the Holiday Rush around Thanksgiving?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

I have no diect info, but I would guess a lot like the Thanksgiving trains.

Unlike Thanksgiving, this schedule will require more than one set of equipment. I noticed that the ticketing menu for 370/371 had upper coach seats/lower coach seat options, while 374/375 did not. Both trains had business class options.

That tells me the regular PM will be the usual Superliner set, and the extra will be an Amfleet business/cafe car plus several Amfleet/Horizon coaches.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Pick is probably correct. As for the upper/lower, I've seen that available for purchase as well, but 370/371 still sometimes run with single level coaches, as they are today.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

~Z~ wrote:Pick is probably correct. As for the upper/lower, I've seen that available for purchase as well, but 370/371 still sometimes run with single level coaches, as they are today.
Upper seats are for roof riders...ala Indian Railways! Don't touch the wires!!!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Someone check on how the 'state rep from Hudsonville' votes on the Amtrak subsidy from the state of Michigan? I also find it interesting that he was 'advocating' to run a train they usually run anyway.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Someone check on his voting record. I DID! I came up with this interesting site. Covers pretty much everything cept the things he doesn't want to talk about.
https://votesmart.org/candidate/politic ... rkoSGeotdh
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Sounds like Amtrak is stopping the operation of special trains...this train may or may not run.
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... rter-moves
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Jochs wrote:Sounds like Amtrak is stopping the operation of special trains...this train may or may not run.
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... rter-moves
It is still listed on Amtrak's website.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I think that the article refers to "special trains" as those trains to be operated for a outside group or individual. The Tulip Train is Amtrak's way of providing additional service on an existing route, like the additional trains they run during Thanksgiving.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

They also said that there would be special determinations. My guess is that if a charter/excursion is already signed up, paid, etc to run it'll run; but they won't do any new ones.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Fred wrote:I think that the article refers to "special trains" as those trains to be operated for a outside group or individual. The Tulip Train is Amtrak's way of providing additional service on an existing route, like the additional trains they run during Thanksgiving.
It could also be classified as a "one time trip" under the memo, though. This could be the last excursion we see up here for a while, seeing as this CEO administration is going nowhere anytime soon.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Where will the train go once it reaches Holland? Waverly Yard?
And does anyone have any clue what the motive power will be?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Amtrak Adds Midwest Trains for Tulip Time
April 03, 2018
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/car-re ... -time.html

Amtrak is offering additional service between Chicago and Holland, Michigan, for travelers headed to Holland’s annual Tulip Time Festival. A special stop at Hammond-Whiting, Indiana, is also added.

These trains on the Pere Marquette route, sponsored by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), will run on two Saturdays during the festival, May 5 and May 12, enabling same-day visits to what has been heralded as the nation’s “Best Flower Festival” and “America’s Best Small-Town Festival,” with more than 5 million tulips in bloom.

Skip tolls, traffic, and parking fees by departing from Chicago at 7:05 a.m. and Hammond-Whiting at 7:30 a.m. (both times Central), arriving in Holland at 11:29 a.m. (Eastern Time). The return trip leaves Holland at 5:50 p.m. (ET), Hammond-Whiting at 7:52 p.m. (CT) and arrives in Chicago at 8:24 p.m. (CT). Parking at the Amtrak Hammond-Whiting station is free of charge and eastbound, Train 374, and westbound, Train 375, will also make intermediate stops at St. Joseph and Bangor. The full schedule can be seen when booking via Amtrak.com, our mobile apps, or by calling 800-USA-RAIL.

Book now for best availability and pricing. Adult fares on the Amtrak Midwest trains on those Saturdays range from $26-$48 each way. All Pere Marquette trains will stop at Hammond-Whiting on May 5 and 6 and May 12 and 13. The Pere Marquette also provides daily service from Chicago to Holland for travel during the nine-day festival. The Michigan page on Amtrak.com has more information.

In addition to the millions of blooming tulips, on Saturday, May 5, Tulip Time visitors can experience Tulip City tours, an artisan market, Kinderplaats, a quilt show, carnival, Dutch dance performances, and shopping in Downtown Holland. On Saturday, May 12, enjoy Tall Ships dockside, the quilt show and carnival, Dutch Marktplaats and food court, more shopping and Muziekparade, the largest parade of the week.

Information on shuttle services from the Holland station area and best ways to get around town on specific dates, along with the times and locations of all events can be found by calling the Holland Area Visitors Bureau at 800-506-1299, or by visiting Holland.org.

For more information, reach out to your local travel agent.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:Where will the train go once it reaches Holland? Waverly Yard?
I can think of 20 snarky things to come back with but I would assume if there is conflicting traffic coming up they may put it into the house track/dock track behind the depot for safekeeping.
Power will be N&W 611. They'll run that up to West Olive and put Consumers Energy coal in it. Wye not?
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Where will the train go once it reaches Holland? Waverly Yard?
It will probably lay over at Waverly Yard, unless there is a reason to send it somewhere else. It might run all the way to the Grand Rapids station just to get it out of the way, or perhaps for a crewing purpose.

I would not expect that it will be an enormous consist as the 1992s photos depict - Amtrak really doesn't have the equipment to spare as many lines around the country are seeing increasing ridership. (Unless they run a whole consist of recently-retired Pacific Parlour Cars.....hey, a guy can dream!). It will probably be extra Superliner or Horizon coach equipment, probably set up to run push-pull or with a pair of locomotives which can be run-around. They could wye the consist at Waverly if they only use one locomotive.

PS - It's great that they're adding the stop at Hammond-Whiting, I hope people use it. I have always thought that station stop presented a missed opportunity for Amtrak in recent times - only 4 Wolverines stop there, but 10 other Amtraks pass through each day. I know this is due to the single side-platform and congestion on that stretch of the Chicago line, but if you live anywhere in NW Indiana, a major suburban area, your other choices are Michigan City (just 3 trains a day), Union Station in Chicago, or, if you're going to the east coast, all the way to South Bend. H-W would be ripe for the type of Amtrak station recently constructed in Dearborn with pedestrian bridge and platforms on both sides, but given Indiana's total disinterest in passenger rail, ain't gonna happen anytime soon!!

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

In the past the train was wyed at Waverly and it stayed there until time to reload

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Amtrak's 372 and 373, which are essentially similar to these trains in terms of operations, pulled beyond the signal at Holland on the main for the crew to change ends before returning. I remember something about the Waverly Yard track not being certified for passenger, so they may not be able to hide there, but that's just something I heard from somebody at some point several years ago :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow