Amtrak Extra - Tulip Time

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Extra - Tulip Time

Unread post by Super Chief »

Maybe MDOT will run a Detroit/Holland train with the Wally double-deckers just to spice things up. PURE MICHIGAN

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

MQT3001 wrote:Amtrak's 372 and 373, which are essentially similar to these trains in terms of operations, pulled beyond the signal at Holland on the main for the crew to change ends before returning. I remember something about the Waverly Yard track not being certified for passenger, so they may not be able to hide there, but that's just something I heard from somebody at some point several years ago :lol:
It wouldn't be considered passenger if the train is completely empty IIRC
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I would not expect that it will be an enormous consist as the 1992s photos depict - Amtrak really doesn't have the equipment to spare as many lines around the country are seeing increasing ridership. (Unless they run a whole consist of recently-retired Pacific Parlour Cars.....hey, a guy can dream!).!
Maybe a consist of private varnish. There should be a large number of cars available. :lol:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Doktor No wrote:Someone check on how the 'state rep from Hudsonville' votes on the Amtrak subsidy from the state of Michigan? I also find it interesting that he was 'advocating' to run a train they usually run anyway.
Anyway? I haven't heard of a Tulip Time train in...well, never (no access to train forums back in the 90s when I hear they last ran)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

On May 26, Trains 377 and 378 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and St. Joseph, Michigan for the Senior PGA Golf Tournament, stopping at Graham Road, which is walking distance to the golf course.

I see on Google Maps someone has listed a train station at Graham Road. Has a temporary platform been set up?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

VERY good idea for them to do the PGA, I’m sure that will be a busy train if word gets around. Probably will just drop passengers off right on the road... In the past Graham has been closed during the PGA, only used by the busses going to the various parking lots, so not much traffic on that section of road.

The old yard was used as a parking lot last time as well, traffic just had to use North Shore Drive to get to it. I’ll have to find my parking pass from last time which has the map of the setup, I’m sure it will be similar this year.
Attachments
C99A19BD-EDB8-48FE-95DA-71592A25DBC5.png

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

NS3322 wrote:On May 26, Trains 377 and 378 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and St. Joseph, Michigan for the Senior PGA Golf Tournament...
Nice to see this being done as well. I can’t find “Benton Harbor-Golf Course” station on Amtrak’s public website yet, but it must exist in some non-public database. The “Rome to Rio” travel site lists it as having “weekly service” so it has to be scraping data from somewhere.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

TSS wrote:I can’t find “Benton Harbor-Golf Course” station on Amtrak’s public website yet, but it must exist in some non-public database. The “Rome to Rio” travel site lists it as having “weekly service” so it has to be scraping data from somewhere.
Google Maps actually has the location listed

https://goo.gl/maps/NVPKgeAAH9m

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

When did the real train station in Benton Harbor get torn down?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NS3322 wrote:
I see on Google Maps someone has listed a train station at Graham Road. Has a temporary platform been set up?
I just clicked on "Suggest an edit" and selected that spot as never existing. I wonder if they'll remove it now. haha
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Still there as of this post. :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The official Amtrak word on the extras:
https://www.amtrak.com/alert/pere-marqu ... rvice.html
Amtrak.com wrote:Pere Marquette: Extra Service for Tulip Festival and Senior PGA Tournament
Effective Saturdays and Sundays, May 5 - 27, 2018

Amtrak is providing extra service between the Chicago area and points in Michigan for the Tulip Festival in Holland and the Senior PGA Golf Tournament in St. Joseph.

On May 5 and 12, Trains 374 and 375 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and Holland to offer service to and from the Tulip Festival.

On May 26, Trains 377 and 378 will operate an extra round trip between Chicago and St. Joseph, Michigan for the Senior PGA Golf Tournament, stopping at Graham Road, which is walking distance to the golf course.

These extra trains will make an additional stop at Hammond-Whiting on the above dates to accommodate passengers attending both events.. On
May 6, 13 and 27, Train 371 will make an extra station stop at Hammond-Whiting to accommodate passengers wishing to stay overnight after the events and return to the Chicago area the next day.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

NS3322 wrote:When did the real train station in Benton Harbor get torn down?
The brick depot at Lake Shore Drive and Water Street was demolished in late 1973/early 1974.
-Fritz Milhaupt

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

What was the consist for today's train?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Siemens 4603, 4 Horizons, and Siemens 4611.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

justin_gram wrote:Siemens 4603, 4 Horizons, and Siemens 4611.
Two Chargers! Well I'm excited for next weekend :lol:
I have only seen them from the blue tinted window of a Metra train, so I have not been exposed to them at all.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Did anyone see the train unloading at Holland? Hopefully it was well patronized!

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Today’s consist was Siemens 4623 on the east end, 4 horizons, and Siemens 4611 on the west end (having all the issues).

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

justin_gram wrote:Today’s consist was Siemens 4623 on the east end, 4 horizons, and Siemens 4611 on the west end (having all the issues).
I was on the train yesterday and only overheard that a smoke alarm had gone off in #4611. What other issues were going on?
It did seem like #4623 was powering the train after Bangor (where we stopped for about 5-10 minutes), is that correct?

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

NS3322 wrote: I was on the train yesterday and only overheard that a smoke alarm had gone off in #4611. What other issues were going on?
It did seem like #4623 was powering the train after Bangor (where we stopped for about 5-10 minutes), is that correct?
It had two problems. Something about wheelslip and traction motor interlock—if any wheelslip was detected, the power was cut by the computer. Second problem was the false smoke alarm. The engineer reset everything during the long Bangor stop, and tied to continue. A couple of miles later, we stopped near Gross because everything was failing again. The conductor went into the trailing unit and switched it on as the primary power.