Crain's Article Michigan Central Station

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Crain's Article Michigan Central Station

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Current owners transferred the building to a separate “mystery” company, unknown if related to Ford.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... socialflow
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Major announcement tomorrow who would ever thought this day would finally come?!

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

May I suggest this thread's title be changed to "Detroit MC Depot Restoration Progress?" It's real and it's happening, folks. Big celebration in front of the station this morning with the governor, mayor, and Ford executive chairman Bill Ford Jr. giving remarks.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The head of Ford Land says he'll make sure they retain space for 4 passenger tracks at station, just in case.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/column ... 722967002/

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 734256002/

Lots of people offering to return stolen ornament. Hopefully won't try to hold out for a big price.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

When you post links to news articles, at least adding that the title in would be helpful instead of just link-dropping :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Saturnalia wrote:When you post links to news articles, at least adding that the title in would be helpful instead of just link-dropping :wink:
Well that friendly request went over ... well.

From the linked article:
Ford Motor Co. plans to spend as much as $740 million on its planned 1.2 million-square-foot Corktown campus, company officials announced Tuesday night.

The automaker said it expects to seek $250 million over 34 years through local, state, federal tax incentives to offset the cost, a representative said, as it launches its ambitious plan to revitalize the area, including the derelict Michigan Central Depot.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

justalurker66 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:When you post links to news articles, at least adding that the title in would be helpful instead of just link-dropping :wink:
Well that friendly request went over ... well.

From the linked article:
Ford Motor Co. plans to spend as much as $740 million on its planned 1.2 million-square-foot Corktown campus, company officials announced Tuesday night.

The automaker said it expects to seek $250 million over 34 years through local, state, federal tax incentives to offset the cost, a representative said, as it launches its ambitious plan to revitalize the area, including the derelict Michigan Central Depot.
$16B to $26B in the bank (reports vary) and they “need” a tax break

As a ford employee, that irritates me to no end. How about fixing some of your broke ass robots with those savings....

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Maybe they can get some tax breaks for those 220 employees who will now have to pay Detroit income tax.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

hoborich wrote:Maybe they can get some tax breaks for those 220 employees who will now have to pay Detroit income tax.
Or they can do what everyone else does and just not file. Detroit is notorious for not going after back income tax returns.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Chip wrote: Or they can do what everyone else does and just not file. Detroit is notorious for not going after back income tax returns.
That was true for a long time but now they're going after them.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 486678002/

I'm also fed up with enormous tax breaks handed out like candy, but regrettably it's how the game is played everywhere now. If Michigan doesn't give a tax break to Ford, Ford can just say "well, maybe we'll build our autonomous research campus in Texas instead, or send that new truck line to Louisville instead of Wayne."

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Steve B wrote:
Chip wrote: Or they can do what everyone else does and just not file. Detroit is notorious for not going after back income tax returns.
That was true for a long time but now they're going after them.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 486678002/

I'm also fed up with enormous tax breaks handed out like candy, but regrettably it's how the game is played everywhere now. If Michigan doesn't give a tax break to Ford, Ford can just say "well, maybe we'll build our autonomous research campus in Texas instead, or send that new truck line to Louisville instead of Wayne."

I understand where your head is, but there’s no room in either Louisville plant for the Ranger. If anything they can import it from Thailand where they’re already building it. However the major retooling work at Wayne is just about finished (I work there), so they’re far less likely to do that. If anything they would ship out Mustang production to somewhere else, probably Canada since that plant has room for it.