ADBF/IO

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

ADBF/IO

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Yesterday I was watching one of Delay in Block's presentations on YouTube. The subject was ABDF, with some JAIL at the end. Excellent quality video, as per usual. Publish date was June, 2017. The ADBF footage included a short freight headed to Adrian, as well as the Dinner Train. The "new" for me was the ethanol train going from the plant in Riga to the I&O, and then on to Petersburg. Is this the usual practice? I didn't think the I&O interchange with ADBF was used very much if at all anymore, much less by ADBF using trackage rights to Petersburg for ethanol trains. This would certainly seem easier than trying to navigate the congested NS interchange in Adrian. Plus, I'm sure Adrian would rather see this particular commodity interchanged in the "country", as opposed to in the city. The video is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uehs-HhWG0s The ethanol footage and discussion begins at 9:05.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: ADBF/IO

Unread post by AARR »

There is some interchange between ADBF and IORY. I don't know if the ethanol was a sustained movement. But they interchange some fertilizer and grain.
jimnorthwood wrote:The "new" for me was the ethanol train going from the plant in Riga to the I&O, and then on to Petersburg. Is this the usual practice? I didn't think the I&O interchange with ADBF was used very much if at all anymore, much less by ADBF using trackage rights to Petersburg for ethanol trains.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Thanks, AARR. It makes sense that this would be the case, but somewhere I got the impression that the most if not all interchange took place with NS in Adrian. Fwiw we worked both interchanges when we were fortunate enough to catch a cab ride on LCRC #2 on what was their second to last run in September, 1990. Definitely one of those "you'll never forget it" kinds of days.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

What is interesting is the Google Maps image of Riga Jct.

There is a train on the IORY in the maps image. The train is actually split in two in this picture. South of the interchange are 10 cars, which I presume are headed north to Flat Rock for interchange with CN. North of / on the interchange switch is an SD40-2 LHF with 15 cars, which I would presume are headed onto the interchange track.

Also of interest is the additional 15 covered hoppers on the Petersburg Siding. Also, 2 CH's are located just east of Wenger RD.

In Riga is a substantial cut of black tankers and covered hoppers in at the ethanol plant.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

chapmaja wrote:What is interesting is the Google Maps image of Riga Jct.

There is a train on the IORY in the maps image. The train is actually split in two in this picture. South of the interchange are 10 cars, which I presume are headed north to Flat Rock for interchange with CN. North of / on the interchange switch is an SD40-2 LHF with 15 cars, which I would presume are headed onto the interchange track.

Also of interest is the additional 15 covered hoppers on the Petersburg Siding. Also, 2 CH's are located just east of Wenger RD.

In Riga is a substantial cut of black tankers and covered hoppers in at the ethanol plant.
The 15 in petersburg are the same 15 in riga they pulled them and left them there to then be picked up on the south bound run.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Grain traffic coming off the ADBF has been wheat going to the mill down outside Cincinnati on the I&O's Brookville line.