HESR Owosso Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

HESR Owosso Customers

Unread post by chapmaja »

How often does the HESR run from Durand west to Owosso? I see three potential customers on the HESR line in Owosso. Woodard at the very end of the line in Owosso, then the branch south from the main that splits to serve a couple customers. Georgia Pacific and another place that does not have a name on Google Maps. One the map version I see, only the un-named place looks like it has cars present (other spurs look active). This has 10 covered hoppers present.

Also, has the GLC attempted to purchase this line from the HESR? It would make sense that the GLC, which has a yard and operations in Owosso would attempt to get this traffic, but given the short distance from Durand, this traffic might be fairly profitable for the HESR to keep.

Finally, On the way back to Durand, I see Glaser Lumber. The tracks appear to still be connected to the main per Google Maps. Other than being cut or paved over, are the tracks actually in place all the way to the lumber place, or have they been removed. When was the last time this place got service? My guess would be 70's or 80's?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: HESR Owosso Customers

Unread post by AARR »

GP is switched 3-5x per week (unless something has changed)

Advanced Drainage Systems is switched every other week or so

Shortly after Woodard built the new plant and spur they were acquired and stopped shipping by rail. I don't know if they ever shipped by rail from the new plant. If they did it wasn't for long and not very much.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Also, has the GLC attempted to purchase this line from the HESR? It would make sense that the GLC, which has a yard and operations in Owosso would attempt to get this traffic, but given the short distance from Durand, this traffic might be fairly profitable for the HESR to keep.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and I totally could be), but doesn't HESR actually own the track from the end limited of CN ownership at Durand Yard up to where the GLC branches off near San Yard in Owosso? The Annie (back in the day) consolidated onto then-GTW tracks a little ways south of Durand Depot in the....early 80s? I thought I heard that HESR retained the ownership of that segment mentioned above and GLC just had rights to use it.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (and I totally could be), but doesn't HESR actually own the track from the end limited of CN ownership at Durand Yard up to where the GLC branches off near San Yard in Owosso? The Annie (back in the day) consolidated onto then-GTW tracks a little ways south of Durand Depot in the....early 80s? I thought I heard that HESR retained the ownership of that segment mentioned above and GLC just had rights to use it.
This is correct. HESR has ownership from Durand Yard to where GLC branches off. A great way to tell is how the track isn't maintained as well between Durand and Owosso as the rest of GLC's mainline from Owosso to Osmer is. Track speed is 25mph.
Last edited by MiRailProductions on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Track speed from Owosso to Durand was 25 last time I checked....
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

SD80MAC wrote:Track speed from Owosso to Durand was 25 last time I checked....
Oh, I thought it was slower, from what I've seen and recorded. Thanks for the correction!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

It was early 1974 that AA moved onto the GTW at Pitt. At first, AA moved back onto its own line at a point between the depot and yard. When Conrail formed GTW bought the AA line from Durand to Ashley. At that point or soon after, Conrail began using the GTW all the way to San. A GTW ETT from 1976 or 1977 shows most if not all of the old AA in place to San, and it was called the "AA Owosso Subdivision." I'd hazard a guess that by the end of 1978 the track was removed except for the spurs into Vernon and Corunna, reached via new connections from GTW. Then again, at least the part of the old AA under I-69 and Lansing Rd. seems to have lasted into the early '80s, from the looks of old photos.

I saw a lumber load in Vernon in 2004 or 2005.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I saw a pair of SOU box cars there around the same years
Steve B wrote:I saw a lumber load in Vernon in 2004 or 2005.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The track has gotten extremely overgrown since then! HESR also used part of it for storage.

I wonder when the last shipments were on the Corunna spur. That's been gone for over 20 years, IIRC.