NS on the ground in Jackson Yard.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

NS on the ground in Jackson Yard.

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Sitting in Jackson yard watching them put together the outbound train. Puff a big cloud of dust and two axles of the lead locomotive are on the ground. Was just passing by so no scanner and only phone potato camera.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: NS on the ground in Jackson Yard.

What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: NS on the ground in Jackson Yard.

I cleaned the image up a little but only so much you can do with potato vision and Microsaus Faint. Joint 20 ft to the left of frame only had 1 bolt remaining and it may have been sheared and as you can see the rail started to roll over. This happened in the yard lead just in front and West of the yard office on the second track back from the road. Not sure why the locos were parked here instead of the normal spot on the first track. The crew was just starting their day and were backing into the yard to make up their train. Engineer was on the West loco (the one that derailed) 3 other locos made it through the track no problem. Consist was SD40-2, SD40E, SD40E, and GP40-2. After the investigation was done the consist was separated and the crew went about making up their train with the SD40E leading long hood forward and the GP40-2 trailing. At this point I had to leave. The other SD40E was left coupled to the stricken SD40-2 for unknown reasons as it was oriented to leave short hood forward.