CSX in Lansing and Flint

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

CSX in Lansing and Flint

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Evenin’ all,

I’m planning on a railfanning trip for this Friday and I’m really looking for some CSX action to mix it up after seeing red, black, and white repeatedly.

What time (roughly) does Q384/385 come through Lansing? I’m hoping to catch them out by Ensel since I’ve never been over there before. Also, what other CSX traffic is there currently on the Plymouth? Is it worth going up to Flint to try and catch some CSX action?

Thanks,

-NS
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: CSX in Lansing and Flint

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Lately Q384 is going through Lansing around 11pm. Q385 is varied.. sometimes 11pm as well, sometimes 4am, 2pm, noon.
D707 doesn't run Friday night/saturday morning. D708 should run east out of Ensel around 2-3pm. Last friday they didn't run.
I wouldn't suggest Flint, as there's likely even less CSX traffic to see.
If you are in Kzoo, and if you are driving just to see CSX and not going to Lansing for other reasons, I'd highly suggest going south to Indiana than north.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

~Z~ wrote:Lately Q384 is going through Lansing around 11pm. Q385 is varied.. sometimes 11pm as well, sometimes 4am, 2pm, noon.
D707 doesn't run Friday night/saturday morning. D708 should run east out of Ensel around 2-3pm. Last friday they didn't run.
I wouldn't suggest Flint, as there's likely even less CSX traffic to see.
If you are in Kzoo, and if you are driving just to see CSX and not going to Lansing for other reasons, I'd highly suggest going south to Indiana than north.

As much as I’d like to be home, I’m actually at MSU right now, which is why I asked about the Lansing area. Lot closer than Indiana :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the info! Much appreciated.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Ah, when you said trip, I wouldn't have figured the 6 mile drive from MSU to Ensel was a railfanning trip and meant some longer distance drive to a city that's a ways away.
Crank up the online CSX feeds at viewtopic.php?t=33614 and viewtopic.php?t=31109 so you can better tell when trains are coming through. Certainly can help you track down Q384 if you stay out that late. For q385, feel free to ask in the CSX location update thread tomorrow when you are headed out and hopefully someone can help you find q384/q385/d708
Webmaster

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I dunno when what time they run, but the Saginaw Sub has two freights a day plus a local that runs, IIRC, three days a week (again, don't remember what days). In addition are extra grain trains and occasional coal trains. My memory is extremely sketchy on the details, but if you are on michiganrailroads.com, there are some members who are very familiar with CSX's operations around Flint if you want to ask there.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

NSSD70ACe, if you've started this railfanning trip already this morning, get to Ensel soon, D707 is out by Elmdale headed east to Ensel as of 8:20am.
Webmaster