GP35’s to be scrapped in Owosso

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GP35’s to be scrapped in Owosso

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sources are indicating that the two high hood GP35’s and former AA 389 are to be scrapped at the end of the week. Sounds like whatever good pieces are left will be saved for parts. I’m sure the track space is needed for the incoming SD40’s.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GP35’s to be scrapped in Owosso

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

MQT1223 wrote:Sources are indicating that the two high hood GP35’s and former AA 389 are to be scrapped at the end of the week. Sounds like whatever good pieces are left will be saved for parts. I’m sure the track space is needed for the incoming SD40’s.
Do you know where they're scrapping them?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Last photo I could find of AA389 was still in TSBY paint. What are the numbers of the other GP35' and are they in GCL paint?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Pixl wrote:Last photo I could find of AA389 was still in TSBY paint. What are the numbers of the other GP35' and are they in GCL paint?
385, 390, 391, 392 and 393 are all in GLC paint (393 being the 10th Anniversary unit). 2648, 389 and 394 are still in TSBY yellow. 394 and 391 are currently OOS but will not be scrapped, sounds like they could be made to run again if GLC thinks they need them. 389, 2648 and 2681 have been parts units for years now.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:Sources are indicating that the two high hood GP35’s and former AA 389 are to be scrapped at the end of the week. Sounds like whatever good pieces are left will be saved for parts. I’m sure the track space is needed for the incoming SD40’s.
It would be awesome if they would put AA 389 on display in either Frankfort, Cadillac, or Owosso. Or anywhere along the old Annie.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

NS3322 wrote:
It would be awesome if they would put AA 389 on display in either Frankfort, Cadillac, or Owosso. Or anywhere along the old Annie.
Would there be any takers? I could see Cadillac doing it, but not anywhere else.

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

trainjunkie47 wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Would there be any takers? I could see Cadillac doing it, but not anywhere else.
Umm SRI
I'm here

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Why would SRI want a giant pile of scrap? :wink:

These are parts units. GLC isn't throwing away good units. If they've picked everything useful out of them, then they're probably not even worth preservation, depending on how far down they've dug.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Saturnalia wrote:Why would SRI want a giant pile of scrap? :wink:

These are parts units. GLC isn't throwing away good units. If they've picked everything useful out of them, then they're probably not even worth preservation, depending on how far down they've dug.
I'd agree with Saturnalia on this one. The SRI has no use for a non operable diesel engine. Not even for static display. After all, they are called the STEAM Railroading Institute.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

It IS a shame that Frankfort/Elberta has no real display to commerate the railroad, seeing how important it once was. Sure there's a turntable playground, and some rotting buildings...but there's not much.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's space for a 35 but someone would have to pay for the move and restoration and that's where the problem lies
Pie39 wrote:It IS a shame that Frankfort/Elberta has no real display to commerate the railroad, seeing how important it once was. Sure there's a turntable playground, and some rotting buildings...but there's not much.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Why did all three of these locomotives end up becoming parts units in the first place?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The bigger issue with preservation isn't the initial restoration and site placement.

It's the attention and money that will be needed through the years to keep the GP35 actually preserved.

You can't save, nor should you try to save, everything. There isn't enough time or money to even think about that.

It's not like it's the last AA GP35 in existence. I believe that the people of GLC will make sure that at least one of the GP35 locomotives will be preserved.
After all, the AA GP35 locomotives are part of their history too.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Pie39 wrote:It IS a shame that Frankfort/Elberta has no real display to commerate the railroad, seeing how important it once was. Sure there's a turntable playground, and some rotting buildings...but there's not much.
Most people up there have no idea what you are even talking about when you mention the Annie anymore. Dinghy's has the ferry boat name boards on their ceiling and the antique shops have a few things but thats about it up there. A diesel hulk? Naaaa.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Dok is right that most people around Elberta/Frankfort don't know and don't care about the Annie.

But I'm hijacking this thread to let everyone know that the Buelah Historical Society has a nice thing going preserving the memory of the Annie and other stuff. They toured the ROW from Elberta/Frankfort to Yuma a few years ago. We had several buses of people for that one.

For anyone interested I recommend checking them out: https://www.facebook.com/Beulah-Histori ... 254398000/
Doktor No wrote: Most people up there have no idea what you are even talking about when you mention the Annie anymore. Dinghy's has the ferry boat name boards on their ceiling and the antique shops have a few things but thats about it up there. A diesel hulk? Naaaa.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

AARR wrote:Dok is right that most people around Elberta/Frankfort don't know and don't care about the Annie.

But I'm hijacking this thread to let everyone know that the Buelah Historical Society has a nice thing going preserving the memory of the Annie and other stuff. They toured the ROW from Elberta/Frankfort to Yuma a few years ago. We had several buses of people for that one.

For anyone interested I recommend checking them out: https://www.facebook.com/Beulah-Histori ... 254398000/
Doktor No wrote: Most people up there have no idea what you are even talking about when you mention the Annie anymore. Dinghy's has the ferry boat name boards on their ceiling and the antique shops have a few things but thats about it up there. A diesel hulk? Naaaa.
Beulah, Colorado does look nice... :D
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I hate when I do that. And it's Benzie Area Historical Museum. Here's the correct link:http://www.benziemuseum.org/index.html
Pie39 wrote:For anyone interested I recommend checking them out: https://www.facebook.com/Beulah-Histori ... 254398000/
Most people up there have no idea what you are even talking about when you mention the Annie anymore. Dinghy's has the ferry boat name boards on their ceiling and the antique shops have a few things but thats about it up there. A diesel hulk? Naaaa.
Beulah, Colorado does look nice... :D

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

What do you expect from a guy who knows nothing about social media :lol:
And yet he still know more than me

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hey, I'm on LinkedIn :lol:
Michael wrote:What do you expect from a guy who knows nothing about social media :lol:
And yet he still know more than me

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Preserving locomotives is a daunting challenge. Hell just getting them moved anymore will bankrupt most small museums unless they happen to be near the host railroads tracks and they decide to deliver.

Don't forget there are 2 AA locomotives already in preservation in Mi. and both are stuck where they are with little chance of moving any time soon without a massive amount of cash.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"