GP35’s to be scrapped in Owosso

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: GP35’s to be scrapped in Owosso

Unread post by Ypsi »

If you can acquire a display loco that's great, but keeping it up is another challenge.. it sounds easy enough, take care of an engine that doesn't even move. But it is always a challenge. Look at AA 20 and 21. 20 did look nice *when* it was last painted, however now it is looking faded again and. And getting a locomotive to look nice also isn't easy, 21 has had over 50 hours of work since last spring and we have only really touched the firemans side long hood and roof. Add together labor and the cost per gallon of a custom mixed quality paint, it's not easy to do or cheap. Plus moving a locomotive anywhere is also hard as stated. There have been many cases I have seen "free to good home, just move" online, it is not simple and not cheap. Attached is the most up to date photo of what 21 has had done, and like I said that's easily over 50 man hours between two people.
Attachments
IMG_4203.PNG
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:Sources are indicating that the two high hood GP35’s and former AA 389 are to be scrapped at the end of the week. Sounds like whatever good pieces are left will be saved for parts. I’m sure the track space is needed for the incoming SD40’s.
These two, TSBY 2648 and TSBY 2681?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4884065
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4884066
Is MQT1223's source correct? I like the old high-hood locos.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

When I first moved to FIfe Lake the two high hood units where still running. 389 was always my favorite. Here are a few pictures of a 2681 and 389 in action around Fife Lake:
crossing 131
agian over 131 with 394
and heres 389 and 394 on plow duty
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Thanks for the postings Kev, I always enjoy seeing the plow in action.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Sources are indicating that the two high hood GP35’s and former AA 389 are to be scrapped at the end of the week. Sounds like whatever good pieces are left will be saved for parts. I’m sure the track space is needed for the incoming SD40’s.
These two, TSBY 2648 and TSBY 2681?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4884065
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4884066
You should know who the source is. It’s credible, the weather delayed the scrapping of the engines.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

How many SD40s are coming and from whom? Also what traffic would need 6 axle power. The current roster has handled the traffic to date. Sounds like a move you'd make if someone was to tour the property in the not to distant future?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

2 that I know of.

If the sand plant in Yuma picks up it may become common to need three engines (rather than two) for both the CSTN and ONTN.
Super Chief wrote:How many SD40s are coming and from whom? Also what traffic would need 6 axle power. The current roster has handled the traffic to date. Sounds like a move you'd make if someone was to tour the property in the not to distant future?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Their trains have been progressively getting bigger over the past few years as GLC gets more and more business. Bigger power makes sense when you can run a train with 2 SD40s vs. 3 or 4 Geeps.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

CEFX 3142 is the other unit coming. I heard GLC may be buying these former lease units. Because I have seen no reports of CITX 3089 being sighted on a train since it arrived, perhaps GLC has it inside the shops painting it up as GLC #400. Just a thought. Actually it was Chessieforever that gave me the thought.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They use five engines sometimes on the 90 car grain trains
SD80MAC wrote:Their trains have been progressively getting bigger over the past few years as GLC gets more and more business. Bigger power makes sense when you can run a train with 2 SD40s vs. 3 or 4 Geeps.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

BL2-1843 wrote:CEFX 3142 is the other unit coming. I heard GLC may be buying these former lease units. Because I have seen no reports of CITX 3089 being sighted on a train since it arrived, perhaps GLC has it inside the shops painting it up as GLC #400. Just a thought. Actually it was Chessieforever that gave me the thought.
I heard a rumor from Facebook that the 3089 is getting its turbocharger fixed in the Owosso Shop, and that it is indeed also being painted into GLC #400.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

One unit is currently on site getting repairs while the scrappings of the three GP35's have been delayed while they are stripped of usable parts. 389 is currently in the shop for the final time being stripped.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

MQT1223 wrote:One unit is currently on site getting repairs while the scrappings of the three GP35's have been delayed while they are stripped of usable parts. 389 is currently in the shop for the final time being stripped.
Was told a few days ago that 389 was in the shop to get it back to working order after all of these years and 391 would be sacrificed for it. Also, the CITX 3089 unit they bought, as a last minute change of plans would become 383 instead of 400, which would indicate that CEFX 3142 when it gets here will become 384. Number boards for 383 are already in existence. After the turbocharger is repaired and gets in working order, plan is to test run it for a month or so before they paint it, or so they say.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:
You should know who the source is. It’s credible, the weather delayed the scrapping of the engines.
So 389 is being saved... figured as much.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Here is a picture of 389 from rr picture archives.net 2007 when she was still in service and looking good. I didn't know we have a loco named after Traverse City. If they scrap it out it would be nice for someone to rescue the panel that says "City of Traverse City" and put it on display somewhere.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Interesting, I would guess the vital parts of 389 must be in better shape than 391, then, for them to sacrifice a running unit for an OOS one.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Has #391 been OOS for a while?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

NS3322 wrote:Has #391 been OOS for a while?
The last time i saw the 391 running was on a passenger excursion back in 2009.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Log book shows the last time I saw 391 here in Howell working was on 4-12-11. It has been out of service for quite a number of years already.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

If they scrap it out it would be nice for someone to rescue the panel that says "City of Traverse City" and put it on display somewhere.
pretty sure the painted over the "City Of's" when they patched them for GLC.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan