Flood Planning in Grand Rapids

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Holstein
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Flood Planning in Grand Rapids

Unread post by Holstein »

Doktor No wrote:Well JT, approach the good burghers of Grandville and the Kent County Drain commissioner with your wonderful plan. They will erect a statue of you on Wilson Ave.
If the river rises a certain amount NOTHING will stop it. The water from Buck Creek had already came and went. That flushes out right at the beginning of the event for the most part. The water from UPSTREAM, as in the lower watershed down to Jackson is what came down to inundate the system.
Not stoppable, not today, next week or next year.
Well said. If you build in a flood plain (or old riverbed for that matter which is all of Grandville) be ready to deal with flooding. I-196 isn't a levy and was never designed to be.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Doktor No wrote:Well JT, approach the good burghers of Grandville and the Kent County Drain commissioner with your wonderful plan. They will erect a statue of you on Wilson Ave.
:lol: Sounds good to me, Dok.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JT is quite the amateur hydrologist!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Saturnalia wrote:JT is quite the amateur hydrologist!
Ah, yes. There are lots of experts here.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote:JT is quite the amateur hydrologist!
It's my cross to bear in life! :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Doktor No wrote:The drainage system USUALLY works to drain Grandville INTO the Grand. As it rises it goes BACKWARDS thru the same drainage system. Also goes back up the creeks into Grandville.
Now if you could STOP that from happening one must assume they would have done it a long time ago?
So in summation...you can't stop the flood, you live WITH the flood. Always been that way and will always be that way. Come up with a cheap alternative and you will be KING!
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.