Elk on the Ground?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Elk on the Ground?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The “We Are Westsiders” group is reporting a train derailed at 131 and 28th st from the Kent County Dispatch. Can anyone confirm?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Elk on the Ground?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Grand Elk is on the ground and overturned at 28th Street in Wyoming. 2 SD40s are off the tracks, one on its side.

http://woodtv.com/2018/02/20/train-dera ... n-wyoming/

Considering there appears to be a Creek there, and with all the rain we’ve gotten, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a washout.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

That ground looks way too distorted to have started with the train...I highly suspect a washout as well.

Hopefully the crew is uninjured. Hate to see it after NS' wreck last week.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

As usual, local news reports once again demonstrate that reporters are clueless when it comes to railroads.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Mark F wrote:As usual, local news reports once again demonstrate that reporters are clueless when it comes to railroads.
I wonder how many people wondered why the train didn't steer around it, or why they couldn't stop in time?
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Jochs wrote:
Mark F wrote:As usual, local news reports once again demonstrate that reporters are clueless when it comes to railroads.
I wonder how many people wondered why the train didn't steer around it, or why they couldn't stop in time?
Don't worry guys, they'll get the train dug free!
Wood TV8 wrote:City workers have a backhoe and other equipment at the scene trying to dig the train free.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Some more pics: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ ... sed_a.html
WAMX 4125 and the Wisconsin Southern unit on it's side. Train appears northbound. There is a culvert that has the small stream pass under the tracks underneath 28th St at this location.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

So THAT'S what the problem was! I was Eastbound on 28th. at Buchanan, when GRPD cars tore into the intersection and closed off the intersection. I was right there at the light, headed AWAY from the wreck (didn't know that a wreck had taken place), and had to negotiate (argue) with the officer (in the rain, to boot) to be able to leave the area!

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Some people on one of channel 8's twitter accounts were saying it was Amtrak. :?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Is that not the location of Plaster Creek as it heads over towards the CSX yard? The track inspectors should have been monitoring the entire railroad with this rainfall. Its not over yet.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Super Chief wrote:Is that not the location of Plaster Creek as it heads over towards the CSX yard? The track inspectors should have been monitoring the entire railroad with this rainfall. Its not over yet.
The Grand Elk's crossing of Plaster Creek is just south of Burton St, nearly a mile north of the derailment.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Channel 17 called it a "cargo train."

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Jochs wrote:
If they would put the steering wheel inside the cab instead of out on the hood, maybe this kind of thing wouldn't happen. :wink:

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Feeder streams...aka. drains, run along the right of way there. All the way from 36th north is a drain...and the railroad followed the easiest course when they built it.
And yeah, someone should have kept an eye on it although in my lifetime I have never seen it happen there. CLEAN OUT THOSE CULVERTS AND DRAINS! It did happen down at 68th Street in the late 70's early 80's...again all along the the feeders into the Buck Creek watershed that the tracks runs along.
I am surprised some of you weren't out patrolling and hadn't reported it sooner!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

kenN wrote:Channel 17 called it a "cargo train."
Nothing wrong with that...

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

They're currently building an access road so that cranes can get to the overturned power. The wreck will be there until at least late afternoon.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

As of 12:30p, 28th St is allowing traffic over the bridge at the scene, and the cars on the tail end of the train aren't blocking 32nd st anymore.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

4189 is going back on the rails, 4125 is going to be prepped tonight and lifted tomorrow
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Detours by any chance?
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

~Z~ wrote:As of 12:30p, 28th St is allowing traffic over the bridge at the scene, and the cars on the tail end of the train aren't blocking 32nd st anymore.
Something was blowing for 68th St in Cutlerville about 9:45am. I'm assuming to pull the cars off the back of the train to unblock 32nd St.