Ann Arbor station stop signs

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Ann Arbor station stop signs

Unread post by twropr »

I just learned that Ann Arbor has signs to assign the engine crews in properly spotting the trains on the station platform. Were they recently erected? Prior to this I had never heard of station stop signs outside of the Northeast Corridor former Pennsy lines.
Are there plans for a new station at AA that will have a high level platform?
Andy

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Ann Arbor station stop signs

Unread post by DaveO »

twropr wrote:I just learned that Ann Arbor has signs to assign the engine crews in properly spotting the trains on the station platform. Were they recently erected? Prior to this I had never heard of station stop signs outside of the Northeast Corridor former Pennsy lines.
Are there plans for a new station at AA that will have a high level platform?
Andy
Until someone comes by with the definitive answer, I believe the signs are to help spot the car(s) in line with the platform built for those with mobility impairments.

Are there plans for a new AA station?

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... _coul.html

Will it have high level platforms? Probably not. They impede some freight and track maintenance. Take a look to the new Dearborn station for what platforms would likely be like.

renf
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by renf »

Is there any freight traffic on the Michigan Central line through Ann Arbor? I have not seen a freight train on that
line for almost a decade. High level platforms at a new depot in Ann Arbor should not be a problem if there are
no frieght trains.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

renf wrote:Is there any freight traffic on the Michigan Central line through Ann Arbor? I have not seen a freight train on that
line for almost a decade. High level platforms at a new depot in Ann Arbor should not be a problem if there are
no frieght trains.
There hasn't been a revenue freight train on the Michigan Line through Ann Arbor for a few years, when 38E and 39E were cut back to Wayne, MI.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

UrbanPlanner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UrbanPlanner »

The station would receive either 10" platforms like Dearborn and possibly (a) retractable platform(s) similar to the existing one at the current station. The State of Michigan made an agreement with NS when the line was sold to ensure clearances for freight traffic in the event that NS ever needs to utilize the line.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MiRailProductions wrote:There hasn't been a revenue freight train on the Michigan Line through Ann Arbor for a few years, when 38E and 39E were cut back to Wayne, MI.
Where does freight traffic from Jackson and Battle Creek go? Via Kalamazoo to Elkhart?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NS3322 wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:There hasn't been a revenue freight train on the Michigan Line through Ann Arbor for a few years, when 38E and 39E were cut back to Wayne, MI.
Where does freight traffic from Jackson and Battle Creek go? Via Kalamazoo to Elkhart?
Yes, NS runs a job from Jackson to Kzoo and a job from Battle Creek to Kzoo. That traffic and motive power for BC and Jackson are ferried to Elkhart via the Grand Elk.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

SD80MAC wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Yes, NS runs a job from Jackson to Kzoo and a job from Battle Creek to Kzoo. That traffic and motive power for BC and Jackson are ferried to Elkhart via the Grand Elk.
There must be a NS local freight that switches the Jiffy Mix muffin plant in Chelsea. What happened to the that NS local between Jackson and Wayne?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

railrod1949 wrote:There must be a NS local freight that switches the Jiffy Mix muffin plant in Chelsea. What happened to the that NS local between Jackson and Wayne?
Isn't there another grain elevator east of Chelsea off of Dexter-Chelsea Road? I believe it is called Chelsea Grain.

And are Contractors Steel and Worthington Specialty Processing (both between Wayne and Willow Run Yard) still shipping by rail?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last time I checked (it's been three years) all three were still shipping by rail
NS3322 wrote:Isn't there another grain elevator east of Chelsea off of Dexter-Chelsea Road? I believe it is called Chelsea Grain.

And are Contractors Steel and Worthington Specialty Processing (both between Wayne and Willow Run Yard) still shipping by rail?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

railrod1949 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:
NS3322 wrote: Where does freight traffic from Jackson and Battle Creek go? Via Kalamazoo to Elkhart?
There must be a NS local freight that switches the Jiffy Mix muffin plant in Chelsea. What happened to the that NS local between Jackson and Wayne?
Yes, can't remember the symbol but I think it's in the B30's range. Saturnalia might be the guy to know the answer. The trains between Jackson and Wayne were not locals; they were road trains 38E and 39E that terminated/originated in Jackson, then cut back to Wayne in early 2015. All traffic got rerouted via Jackson-Kzoo and Kzoo-Elkhart in favor of smoother passenger operations, I think.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:There must be a NS local freight that switches the Jiffy Mix muffin plant in Chelsea. What happened to the that NS local between Jackson and Wayne?
Isn't there another grain elevator east of Chelsea off of Dexter-Chelsea Road? I believe it is called Chelsea Grain.

Nearly every time I go by Chelsea Grain, there are at least a few hoppers there, so I assume a local comes every once in a while to pick those up. Additionally, those guys at Willow Run still get served by a local every once in a while. I can't remember the symbols of either local.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

B17 handles willow run. My new job has a shop right along the tracks between Worthington and Willow Run.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

B17 works Wayne to contractors/ Denton road. B44 does Jackson to Chelsea as needed. B90 is also a local symbol they may use as needed (extra symbol).
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Ypsi wrote:B17 works Wayne to contractors/ Denton road. B44 does Jackson to Chelsea as needed. B90 is also a local symbol they may use as needed (extra symbol).
I thought you might've known. Thanks!