RN dispatcher changes

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TSS
Railroadfan...fan

RN dispatcher changes

Unread post by TSS »

Hunter may be dead, but change never stops. Listening to yesterday’s scanner recordings, I heard RN dispatcher LAL saying that Friday will be her last day... The RN job is moving to Florida and she took a different job to stay in Chicago. I am sure the crews will miss her. It will be interesting to see when the cutover takes place.

In a similar vein, I heard an engineer I’ve never heard before on this morning’s P371. Sounded experienced.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: RN dispatcher changes

Unread post by Jetlink »

I always thought LAL was one of the real good ones. I'm sure you are correct that the crews will miss her. I always enjoyed listening to her; she is certainly a class act.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Jetlink wrote:I always thought LAL was one of the real good ones. I'm sure you are correct that the crews will miss her. I always enjoyed listening to her; she is certainly a class act.
I'll miss the fact that she kept Amtrak moving better than anyone else
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Jetlink wrote:I always thought LAL was one of the real good ones. I'm sure you are correct that the crews will miss her. I always enjoyed listening to her; she is certainly a class act.
As odd as it sounds, being listeners to a radio station not meant for broadcast, it was always nice to hear LAL on the air, giving everybody what they needed to keep on moving. Always appreciated the informative nature about it - often got to learn a lot about what was going on as she talked to various people around the territory.

So yeah, I suppose this is an unsolicited railfan appreciation statement -- yes, I suppose even railroad dispatchers can earn local "legend" status among the 'fans. :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Saturnalia wrote: As odd as it sounds, being listeners to a radio station not meant for broadcast, it was always nice to hear LAL on the air...
I was just thinking the same thing. My computer records the scanner, cuts the silence between transmissions down to 2 seconds, and dumps the resulting audio into my iTunes account. It’s usually about 45 minutes+ of audio, and it’s what I listen to in the car during my commute.

Exactly as you say, it’s like saying goodbye to a favorite DJ who has become a “friend.”

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

LAL was the best she always kept us moving.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TSS wrote: My computer records the scanner, cuts the silence between transmissions down to 2 seconds, and dumps the resulting audio into my iTunes account. It’s usually about 45 minutes+ of audio. ”
Any chance you could post some of that audio either in here or maybe youtube?

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Pixl wrote:Any chance you could post some of that audio either in here or maybe youtube?
You can listen live anytime via broadcastify: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/26249

Of course, that has real time silence built in. I haven’t investigated how to share my private “condensed“ files, which are created by the same software. My feed features CSX plus the marine channels, so it’s fairly quiet in between trains during the winter. In the summer, there’s plenty of boat and bridge traffic to hear.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

LAL was the best at keeping trains moving and executing good moves on the RN desk. She will be missed!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J3rsdm5
Speak softly and carry a big tripod

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

TSS wrote:
Saturnalia wrote: As odd as it sounds, being listeners to a radio station not meant for broadcast, it was always nice to hear LAL on the air...
I was just thinking the same thing. My computer records the scanner, cuts the silence between transmissions down to 2 seconds, and dumps the resulting audio into my iTunes account. It’s usually about 45 minutes+ of audio, and it’s what I listen to in the car during my commute.

Exactly as you say, it’s like saying goodbye to a favorite DJ who has become a “friend.”
That sounds incredibly useful! What software is that?
"If it ain't all red, it ain't red at all"
Image JJRicks Studios

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

J3rsdm5 wrote:That sounds incredibly useful! What software is that?
I use Audio Hijack. It’s Mac only software. If you use a Mac, I’d be happy to tell you more.

J3rsdm5
Speak softly and carry a big tripod

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

TSS wrote:
J3rsdm5 wrote:That sounds incredibly useful! What software is that?
I use Audio Hijack. It’s Mac only software. If you use a Mac, I’d be happy to tell you more.
I'm running Windows 10, but I'll look around for a rough equivalent. Thanks!
"If it ain't all red, it ain't red at all"
Image JJRicks Studios

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:LAL was the best at keeping trains moving and executing good moves on the RN desk. She will be missed!
What about Tammy? Did she move on as well?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

CSX didn't have a good plan for the moving dispatchers implemented. No moving expenses. The Atlanta dispatchers that went to Jacksonville are sleeping in their cars but not on CSX property. They left their families in Atlanta because they were told move now or lose your job. Morale is low and fatigue is setting in. The company just rushed what the big shots wanted but no plan.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Maybe theses people that make the decisions don't read history books or order their underlings to read them. "As a "FYI' the same exact thing happened at the Conrail break up. This creates a lot of problems for the dispatchers ( NOT that The company gives a CRAP ). People trying to move and sell their houses, transfer the kids to a new school. O yeah and NOT being able to sell the house and the added expense of renting or trying to find a place to live , while still having to pay bills at the old location. And the best was , well if you don't want the job ( that you've had for 20 years Tuff ) It's never about individuals ( SORRY ) the only thing that counts is the bottom line. Conrail, CSX or NS ."

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

J T wrote: What about Tammy? Did she move on as well?
I think she's headed to Florida.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Super Chief wrote:CSX didn't have a good plan for the moving dispatchers implemented. No moving expenses.
Um, no. They are paying moving expenses. I am hearing the NS is making their dispatchers move on their own dime, as there is nothing in their contract to make them. That is just something I heard around the water cooler, so take it with a grain of salt.
Super Chief wrote: Atlanta dispatchers that went to Jacksonville are sleeping in their cars but not on CSX property. They left their families in Atlanta because they were told move now or lose your job.
You might want to reread that article. The Atlanta guys sold their homes and sent their families down to Jax before the office closed. They were living in their cars while still working in Atlanta.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Typhoon wrote:
Super Chief wrote:CSX didn't have a good plan for the moving dispatchers implemented. No moving expenses.
Um, no. They are paying moving expenses. I am hearing the NS is making their dispatchers move on their own dime, as there is nothing in their contract to make them. That is just something I heard around the water cooler, so take it with a grain of salt.
Not true, the company and union are negotiating a moving package as part of the implementation agreement.
The dispatcher is cool.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Starting 1st shift on the 15th, the RN will be in Jax.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Hurricane EHHarrison, a cat 5 storm will be descending upon Jacksonville early in the season....best of luck!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.