Sargent Sand Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Sargent Sand Co.

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Sargent Sand Co. in Ludington had a fire last night closing operations. Maybe they will have to re-open the sand operation in Mesick giving GLC some much needed business on that branch.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Sargent Sand Co.

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:Sargent Sand Co. in Ludington had a fire last night closing operations. Maybe they will have to re-open the sand operation in Mesick giving GLC some much needed business on that branch.
The Yuma facility (technically Harrieta, not too far from Mesick) is owned by Fairmount Sandtrol (was Sargent many years ago). And there was discussion that the Yuma mine was reopening? They held hiring sessions for many positions there recently. Not sure on what scale it was to reopen to (maybe too small to use rail of just not started operations back up yet).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought the Sargent sand plant was in Harlan and the Yuma plant was someone else before Fairmont but not Sargent :? . The Harlan plant opened around 1980 and closed around 1984. Last time I checked the Harlan plant equipment was still there albeit rusted and derelict.
TC Man wrote:
Pixl wrote:Sargent Sand Co. in Ludington had a fire last night closing operations. Maybe they will have to re-open the sand operation in Mesick giving GLC some much needed business on that branch.
The Yuma facility (technically Harrieta, not too far from Mesick) is owned by Fairmount Sandtrol (was Sargent many years ago). And there was discussion that the Yuma mine was reopening? They held hiring sessions for many positions there recently. Not sure on what scale it was to reopen to (maybe too small to use rail of just not started operations back up yet).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Pixl wrote:Sargent Sand Co. in Ludington had a fire last night closing operations.
Permanently?

mowingman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mowingman »

The newspaper article says it did not affect much of the plant. Just a small shed with a sand feeder hopper, an adjacent conveyor belt, and a little damage at the top of the dryer building. Sounds like they might be down a few weeks at most.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote: Last time I checked the Harlan plant equipment was still there albeit rusted and derelict.
I didn't know Harlan had a sand pit even though I've been thru there several times but your right, you can see some of the equipment on Google Earth.
Harlan.jpg

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Assuming Sargent is the pit north of Ludington by the state park? Do they truck it to MQTRR in town and transload or not? Also what town is the Harlan plant near? I tried google maps for the pit and it failed, who carried their sand when it was running?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Never mind got it to work. The Yuma pit is labeled Wexford Sand. The view I had there were still 23 Burlington commuter cars at the end of the line.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Correct, Sargent Sand near Ludington trucks their sand to MQT but also several other transloads including GDLK in Grand Rapids.

The Harlan sand pit is east of Harlan (west of Yuma) on the ex-AA ROW. AA (Michigan Interstate) had the business. At its peak it shipped around 30-40 cars a week.
Super Chief wrote:Assuming Sargent is the pit north of Ludington by the state park? Do they truck it to MQTRR in town and transload or not? Also what town is the Harlan plant near? I tried google maps for the pit and it failed, who carried their sand when it was running?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...