Cherry Growers in Grawn has shut down

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Cherry Growers in Grawn has shut down

Unread post by TC Man »

Filed for bankruptcy in September, hoping to reorganize finances, but sent everyone home today except a few to finish out existing orders, then shut down.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Cherry Growers in Grawn has shut down

Unread post by TCBrent »

May be far-fetched, but I guess that opens up the possibility of somoeone else moving in and using rail service there. Too bad for those who worked there either way.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TCBrent wrote:May be far-fetched, but I guess that opens up the possibility of somoeone else moving in and using rail service there. Too bad for those who worked there either way.
Unless Macherne, who has their facility behind Cherry Growers (makers of Go-Go Squeeze applesauces) takes over that large, very old, very obsolete facility, my bets are it sits empty and is eventually torn down. Old, many additions, very energy inefficient.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC the last rail shipment was 2009
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Low rent warehouse space as is the case with many a former factory. That is until the roof starts leaking so bad that there are no dry spots left. By that time rot sets in and then the track hoe comes in to rip it down and extract the metal. Until finally all that is left is a concrete pad with weeds, a fence, and a few pieces or fail that were too hard to get out of the concrete.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

Well in that case, I have been hoping to model that building for the basement layout and may not get up there in time to take pictures. Does anyone have pictures they can post of the facility? I have found a few of them in the photo gallery of this board but more would be helpful.
Thanks, Bill

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MIGN-Bill wrote:Well in that case, I have been hoping to model that building for the basement layout and may not get up there in time to take pictures. Does anyone have pictures they can post of the facility? I have found a few of them in the photo gallery of this board but more would be helpful.
Thanks, Bill
Bill- I live 8 miles from there, and can get some from the highway side (front). There is a guard shack, so can't get into the property for rear/side photos though.

MIGN-Bill
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Bill »

TC-Man: that would be most helpful and appreciated!

I will post a pic later this week in the model railroad section showing the cardboard mock up I started a few years back for Cherry Growers based on the couple of pics in the photo gallery. That assumes I can relearn how to upload photos.

Thanks
Bill

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TC Man wrote:
There is a guard shack, so can't get into the property for rear/side photos though.
Don't worry about the guard shack. They are usually asleep or gone to the restroom for hours at a time. If you are stopped, any lame excuse will get you in, say you're there for a safety inspection and you are in.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:
There is a guard shack, so can't get into the property for rear/side photos though.
Don't worry about the guard shack. They are usually asleep or gone to the restroom for hours at a time. If you are stopped, any lame excuse will get you in, say you're there for a safety inspection and you are in.
Well, I do inspect buildings, just not that type of a facility and in that area, LOL. But that would work!

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Google satellite view will show you the shape of the building. Two outdoor rail loading docks on the north side. Truck docks on the east side. Lots of junk on the south side. I've been in the building at least 50 times over the years. But I never took any photos of refrigerated boxcars at the loading docks.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

DLM wrote:Google satellite view will show you the shape of the building. Two outdoor rail loading docks on the north side. Truck docks on the east side. Lots of junk on the south side. I've been in the building at least 50 times over the years. But I never took any photos of refrigerated boxcars at the loading docks.
I have some photos (real photos that I'd have to scan) from the late 80's early 90's with reefers there (back when they could load 6 at a time- 3 on each track).

FYI, it was announced today that they will be selling off all equipment, buildings, property to pay off creditors.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Grawn

Unread post by TC railman »

I heard stuff about cherry growers turning into a toyota plant?!?! is this true? and will it bring rail service?.....

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grawn

Unread post by Doktor No »

TC railman wrote:I heard stuff about cherry growers turning into a toyota plant?!?! is this true? and will it bring rail service?.....
Bob Segar is going to build Thunderbirds there.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC railman wrote:I heard stuff about cherry growers turning into a toyota plant?!?! is this true? and will it bring rail service?.....

That's the best laugh I've had all day! I go to California and Toyota moves to Grawn. Lol!!!

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Go to the pre-aution inspection and sign up as a buyer. Then you will have total freedom to walk around the property and take photos.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

To far north.