Steam Railroading Institute purchases C&NW #175

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Steam Railroading Institute purchases C&NW #175

Unread post by NS3322 »

This is pretty amazing news! Never thought this locomotive would leave the Keweenaw...
We at the Steam Railroading Institute are excited to announce the purchase of our second historic Michigan steam locomotive! Chicago and Northwestern Railway (CNW) 175, a 1908 R1 class 4-6-0, will be joining our family to become a future operating-stablemate to the Pere Marquette 1225!

Built by the American Locomotive Company’s Schenectady Works, the 175 hauled both freight and passenger trains in the iron-mining territory of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin until the mid-1950’s when diesel technology became a more economical and efficient alternative. It is the only CNW locomotive in Michigan, and one of only three R1’s in existence. Currently in storage at Ripley on the Keweenaw Peninsula, the 175 was made available to SRI by its owner, Mineral Range Inc, operator of the Mineral Range Railroad in Ishpeming. In late summer of 2017, Preston Claytor; SRI Board Member, Kevin Mayer; SRI Chief Mechanical Officer, and Dan Pluta; Contractor at Pro Services arranged a meeting with the Mineral Range and inspection of the 175. The locomotive will be moved to Owosso by road in late spring.

With negotiations followed by an agreement now in place and once delivered to Owosso, we will begin the restoration of the CNW 175 to operating condition. Grants and gifts to finance are already being pursued for what will be the second largest locomotive restoration project for our organization since the Pere Marquette 1225’s return to service in 2013.

Stay tuned for more information forthcoming on the Chicago and Northwestern Railway 175’s restoration, and how to contribute to the upcoming project!

The locomotive in 2016:
Last edited by NS3322 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Steam Railroading Institute purchases C&NW #175

Unread post by NS3322 »

What is the future of the other locomotive "under restoration": Mississippian #76?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

#76 project has been scrapped by SRI.

Also, the 175, while much of it has been sitting outside, is actually in great condition because the parts have been stored inside. It was stripped for rebuild that was never completed. So most of the fixtures, appliances, etc were stored indoors.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCBrent »

Maybe that could make it up to Traverse City! ;)

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Chicago & Northwestern 175 comes to SRI

Unread post by Super Chief »

SRI announced today they have purchased C&NW 175 a 4-6-0 steamer built in 1908 to run trips in addition to 1225. Should arrive in Owosso in June. Ah more steam in Michigan. Sorry already see its posted.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Saturnalia wrote:#76 project has been scrapped by SRI.
They responded to my comment on Facebook saying: "News about the 76 coming soon. Stay positive!"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NS3322 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:#76 project has been scrapped by SRI.
They responded to my comment on Facebook saying: "News about the 76 coming soon. Stay positive!"
That news should be that it’s gonna be stuffed and mounted somewhere in the east...so says the grapevine
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Don't believe SRI has given up on MISS 76, it's been last worked on by their youngings Exploring Post 1225. 8)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

j32885 wrote:Don't believe SRI has given up on MISS 76, it's been last worked on by their youngings Exploring Post 1225. 8)
Appears MISS #76 will be going to the Oakland B&O Museum in Oakland, Maryland.
What was wrong with #76 for the SRI to take a pass on it?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ok, several things to clear up here.

First, 76 is indeed leaving SRI for a museum in Maryland that says they will perform a cosmetic restoration on the locomotive. Personally I think they are in way over their heads.

Second, the Explorers Group has been defunct for several years now due to some internal matters at SRI. 76 hasn't been worked on to any degree since about 2014 or 15.

Third, my reasoning for the purchase of 175 and selling of 76: grants. 76 has no historical connections to Michigan what so ever, thus it does not qualify for any time of state money that SRI would get for a locomotive with ties to the state. 1225 is a perfect example since it spent its entire life in the state for the most part. C&NW 175's entire career to everyone's knowledge has it documented in the UP. While the locomotive never obviously went anywhere near the Lower Peninsula, Michigan is still Michigan. 175 is applicable for free money, 76 is not. Plain and simple.

Fourth is performance. 76 and 175 share roughly the same amount of power although 175 is larger and way faster then a low drivered 2-8-0. The C&NW R-1 4-6-0's were some of the largest Ten Wheelers ever built, and the C&NW had more R-1's then any other steam locomotive at the time. Of the 300 plus they had, three survive. 175 was at some point in its life rebuilt to be superheated, and also rebuilt from Stephenson to Walschaerts Valve Gear, which brings the valve gear outside of the frame and easier to maintain. 175 to my knowledge is the only survivor in this configuration from the C&NW. Nothing bigger then a 4-6-0 survives from the C&NW either, so for fans of that line its a very exciting time for C&NW steam.

175 has been stored outdoors stripped since the late 1960's, however all of the parts that were removed have been stored indoors and dry and haven't been subjected to the weather. The previous owner also kept a complete set of drawings of the R-1's with the 175, in addition to the fact that he purchased a Northern Pacific tender from a wreck train the NP was scrapping. This tender is in really good shape and larger then the original tender, which was scrapped long ago when 175 was at the scrapper. 76 on the other hand was used and abused after her freight days were over, and the majority of the locomotive has not been stored adequately, even before her time at SRI. The locomotive shows very scary signs of wear, in addition to the amount of missing parts such as the smokebox.

Hope that clears some things up for you.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:175 to my knowledge is the only survivor in this configuration from the C&NW.
There are two others that survive as well. One at the Mid-Continent Rail Museum in Wisconsin, and another at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

NS3322 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:175 to my knowledge is the only survivor in this configuration from the C&NW.
There are two others that survive as well. One at the Mid-Continent Rail Museum in Wisconsin, and another at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver.
MQT1223 means 175 is the only one with the superheating and updated valve gearing.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

You got it. I had already mentioned the other survivors in my first post
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

MQT1223 wrote:You got it. I had already mentioned the other survivors in my first post
At least I knew what you meant lol
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Any signs of activity or movement toward bringing this engine down to SRI now that summer is here?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GAP wrote:Any signs of activity or movement toward bringing this engine down to SRI now that summer is here?
I believe it arrived at SRI last month.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Has Mississippian #76 left for Maryland? I know the tender has been delivered.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:Has Mississippian #76 left for Maryland? I know the tender has been delivered.
76 is still on the grounds yet there is a very interesting 3 way trade going on with tenders here involving the Arcade and Attica in New York.

76's tender is going to New York to be rebuilt for use with former Boyne City, Gaylord and Alpena 2-8-0 #18, as the tank is actually in fair shape along with the frame. In return 18's tender is going to be displayed with 76, which has been repainted into Baltimore and Ohio lettering. 18's tender would've needed a complete replacement as it had been rigged up for years, but the much larger and better condition tender from 76 will be going to be put to good use in its place. There is also some hints floating around at a return of Escanaba and Lake Superior 4-6-0 #14 as well.

Interesting how an engine not from Michigan, is swapping tenders with an engine originally from Michigan and now works out of state.

The locomotive portion of 76 is going to require A LOT, and I cannot stress that enough LOT of work just to be presentable. An entirely new smokebox needs to be fabricated along with the installation of the cab, valve gear and complete repainting of the rusting engine. Whether or not it will get jacketing remains to be seen. In the end though, 76 will look better then it has since it left Gettysburg, although the engine from a Mechanical standpoint is completely shot and would require a very expensive endevour to return to operation if another opportunity presents itself.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:Has Mississippian #76 left for Maryland? I know the tender has been delivered.
76 is still on the grounds yet there is a very interesting 3 way trade going on with tenders here involving the Arcade and Attica in New York.

76's tender is going to New York to be rebuilt for use with former Boyne City, Gaylord and Alpena 2-8-0 #18, as the tank is actually in fair shape along with the frame. In return 18's tender is going to be displayed with 76, which has been repainted into Baltimore and Ohio lettering. 18's tender would've needed a complete replacement as it had been rigged up for years, but the much larger and better condition tender from 76 will be going to be put to good use in its place. There is also some hints floating around at a return of Escanaba and Lake Superior 4-6-0 #14 as well.

Interesting how an engine not from Michigan, is swapping tenders with an engine originally from Michigan and now works out of state.

The locomotive portion of 76 is going to require A LOT, and I cannot stress that enough LOT of work just to be presentable. An entirely new smokebox needs to be fabricated along with the installation of the cab, valve gear and complete repainting of the rusting engine. Whether or not it will get jacketing remains to be seen. In the end though, 76 will look better then it has since it left Gettysburg, although the engine from a Mechanical standpoint is completely shot and would require a very expensive endevour to return to operation if another opportunity presents itself.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

76 has finally left the building! The running gear and tender frame left yesterday (7/1) around noon-12:30pm.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!