CN Flat Rock Sub Changes

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

CN Flat Rock Sub Changes

Unread post by Y@ »

Switches at both ends of Diann and Maybee sidings have been removed. South Diann switch was moved north of Gloff Road, and I believe is there to be used as a bad order set out if needed. Signal suspension started 1/2/18 at 10:30. North Diann to Carleton is all dark and all DT&I signals removed from service, which leaves South Diann and Carleton Tower as the last active DT&I signals for now. Doesn't look like Carleton will be cut over so they could remain, but South Diann will be fully cut over soon. The signals on the AA side have already been removed/replaced. Not sure how long it will take to have the rest of the new intermediates up and running.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN Flat Rock Sub Changes

Unread post by AARR »

Are AA and IORY still able to interchange traffic at Diann?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Yes.
Bottom text.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

And all of this collectivey means/is for..?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MiddleMI wrote:And all of this collectivey means/is for..?
The IORY south of Flat Rock Yard. It means lots of it just had signals removed and a siding or two cut. It’s a reduction of unneeded infrastructure basically.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Yeah, I was familiar with the railroads that meet in Diann (though is "South Diann the actual crossing or specifically the switch for the siding?). I was just wondering - like you've revealed - if this was the result of very recent/plan for decreases in traffic, or if this was something in planning for years to match the existing decreased traffic. Will this effect switching with AA in the southeast quadrant of the crossing?

CR Cabanaw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR Cabanaw »

South Diann used to be the interlocking and the south switch of the Diann siding. With the changes complete, South Diann is now just Diann. CN had to upgrade this subdivision for PTC requirements. The trains that do run haul enough hazmat to need PTC. Basically, CN had to either upgrade ALL existing infrastructure to support PTC or get rid of what wasn't being used... and the former costs less $$$.

As far as further upgrades...Carleton won't be cutover completely until CSX finishes its half of upgrades sometime in late fall 2018. As for Diann, CN is waiting on the AA to finish its half as well. That's rumored for late February 2018. For now, the two DT&I home signals on the CN side will stay and the E-lock north of Gloff Rd. will remain out of service.

Also, South Maybee has been converted into a holding signal control point named CP Jim after some guy in Track Dept.

As of tonight, CTC is back up on the whole sub.
" "

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

CR Cabanaw wrote:South Diann used to be the interlocking and the south switch of the Diann siding. With the changes complete, South Diann is now just Diann. CN had to upgrade this subdivision for PTC requirements. The trains that do run haul enough hazmat to need PTC. Basically, CN had to either upgrade ALL existing infrastructure to support PTC or get rid of what wasn't being used... and the former costs less $$$.

As far as further upgrades...Carleton won't be cutover completely until CSX finishes its half of upgrades sometime in late fall 2018. As for Diann, CN is waiting on the AA to finish its half as well. That's rumored for late February 2018. For now, the two DT&I home signals on the CN side will stay and the E-lock north of Gloff Rd. will remain out of service.

Also, South Maybee has been converted into a holding signal control point named CP Jim after some guy in Track Dept.

As of tonight, CTC is back up on the whole sub.
Out of curiosity how much runs on the DT&I towards Diann these days? A few years ago if I'm not mistaken there was a CN train each way that turned onto the AA and went down to the NS and the I&O ran 3 or 4 times a week. I'm sure my information is outdated by now.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't think it's changed. CN still runs a daily train to Toledo (although they changed the symbol from a manifest to a local designation) and IORY still operates a turn from Delta to Flat Rock three times a week.
ns8401 wrote:Out of curiosity how much runs on the DT&I towards Diann these days? A few years ago if I'm not mistaken there was a CN train each way that turned onto the AA and went down to the NS and the I&O ran 3 or 4 times a week. I'm sure my information is outdated by now.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

The symbol is L585, I believe. Does this train still change to NS 184 on its way to Bellevue? And return from Bellevue beginning as a NS 353?
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.