GR&I Sturgis OmniSource

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

GR&I Sturgis OmniSource

Unread post by Doktor No »

Unit train of junk to OmniSource Sturgis per FACEBOOK. https://m.facebook.com/groups/479183075 ... 5471676082
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: GR&I Sturgis OmniSource

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Your linked page says it doesn't exist. Guessing it's some private group on Facebook then.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Please fix, sounds interesting.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

I can't fix it...it the GR&I History Facebook page. I can't believe your not on it. Why I NEVER!....you call yourselves railfans....8-)
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Doktor No wrote:I can't fix it...it the GR&I History Facebook page. I can't believe your not on it. Why I NEVER!....you call yourselves railfans....8-)
Sir, I am a rail fan, but not a fan of Facebook. They contaminate my computer with needless derbies so I only peek with my wife's account on occasion. If you are that familiar with FB you could copy the post in here. Thanks.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

It is copied from facebook. If you use your wifes, go to GR&I History Page on hers. And it was tongue and cheek by the way...the smiley face I had hoped conveyed that... :mrgreen:
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Doktor No wrote:It is copied from facebook. If you use your wifes, go to GR&I History Page on hers. And it was tongue and cheek by the way...the smiley face I had hoped conveyed that... :mrgreen:
I think what he meant was copy and paste the post word for word from Facebook.

I for one cleansed my Facebook page of railfan-related groups, posts, etc, before I started applying for my internships, some of which were with major railroads. I’m there to work, not oogle over trains, and I don’t want the recruiters getting the wrong idea. I don’t want to add a group while my applications are being reviewed.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

From Facebook, December 29 at 9:15am:
Jeremy Winkworth wrote:*Heads up for those of you in the Sturgis area*. There will be a 34-car train heading south out of Sturgis on the GR&I this morning. It's true!!! Pioneer is taking 34 condemned CSX hoppers to the scrap yard south of town. They will be leaving White Pigeon in about 30 minutes.
Photos by Ted David Zabel
Ted David Zabel wrote:Michigan Southern delivering covered hoppers to Omni Metals in Sturgis, MI this afternoon, 12/29/17.
Apparently, more are to come.

GP15Dash1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP15Dash1 »

34 covered hoppers is about 2,200 feet, which is about the limit on the interchange and probably as many cars as they can handle on the OmniSource spur at once. "More to come" sounds interesting. Good to see the MSO getting more action.
Best Regards,
Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch
San Diego, CA

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Are these the hoppers that were stored in New Buffalo for the last few years?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NS3322 wrote:Are these the hoppers that were stored in New Buffalo for the last few years?
No, these came from elsewhere on CSX.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

SD80MAC wrote:
NS3322 wrote:Are these the hoppers that were stored in New Buffalo for the last few years?
No, these came from elsewhere on CSX.
Looks like there is another customer south of there that receives covered hoppers? Looks like one siding that goes off the original siding was added around 2015 (long one going around back of building). Frank Miller & Sons?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

TC Man wrote:Looks like there is another customer south of there that receives covered hoppers? Looks like one siding that goes off the original siding was added around 2015 (long one going around back of building). Frank Miller & Sons?

2 photos were posted of that sidding
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34002&p=363002&hili ... er#p363089

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They receive salt or something like that. At their old location (a little ways north) they were getting a few cars a month or so. I don’t know if they are getting more at their new place.
Michael wrote:
TC Man wrote:Looks like there is another customer south of there that receives covered hoppers? Looks like one siding that goes off the original siding was added around 2015 (long one going around back of building). Frank Miller & Sons?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:They receive salt or something like that. At their old location (a little ways north) they were getting a few cars a month or so. I don’t know if they are getting more at their new place.
Michael wrote:

Also, does this railroad have 2 engine houses? I see one closer to the interchange (where they seem to have a transload mentioned above), and one more to the east in WP. Both buildings have track into the buildings, and the one closer to the transload has an office trailer in the parking lot and a railroad sign.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Correct, there are two engine sheds. The original one is in downtown White Pigeon by the elevator/former lumber yard. The other one is on the spur to the gravel pit.

The gravel pit spur was built by the owner of the pit. He was hoping to generate 1000 outbound carloads a year of gravel and a 1000 inbound carloads of limestone. Some rail shipments took place but I don't think it came close to the projections. He died shortly after the spur was built but unfortunately his sons didn't have the fathers business savvy and the gravel pit closed.

I hear that some sand is being shipped from a transload on the spur now. Seems like a couple carloads are shipped now and then.
TC Man wrote:Also, does this railroad have 2 engine houses? I see one closer to the interchange (where they seem to have a transload mentioned above), and one more to the east in WP. Both buildings have track into the buildings, and the one closer to the transload has an office trailer in the parking lot and a railroad sign.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:Correct, there are two engine sheds. The original one is in downtown White Pigeon by the elevator/former lumber yard. The other one is on the spur to the gravel pit.

The gravel pit spur was built by the owner of the pit. He was hoping to generate 1000 outbound carloads a year of gravel and a 1000 inbound carloads of limestone. Some rail shipments took place but I don't think it came close to the projections. He died shortly after the spur was built but unfortunately his sons didn't have the fathers business savvy and the gravel pit closed.

I hear that some sand is being shipped from a transload on the spur now. Seems like a couple carloads are shipped now and then.
TC Man wrote:Also, does this railroad have 2 engine houses? I see one closer to the interchange (where they seem to have a transload mentioned above), and one more to the east in WP. Both buildings have track into the buildings, and the one closer to the transload has an office trailer in the parking lot and a railroad sign.
Thank you all!!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Actually 3 enginehouses are there. The 2 you mention plus the ex-Little River RR engine house west of the WP depot. Owen who worked for Gordy and Pioneer use to sleep in the caboose that was kept outside that enginehouse. PRM is shipping sand from there to Indiana Harbor Belt at Gibson. My friend who drives truck for them usually makes 3 trips a week to Muskegon. Sand comes by truck from Muskegon to WP is transloaded into hoppers and sent to the IHB.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That's three sand transloads I'm aware. One at Berry Jct. (MS), another north of Grand Rapids (GDLK) and of course White Pigeon (MSO). Then there is the processing plant in Ludington (MQT). Is all this sand coming from the same mine?
Super Chief wrote:PRM is shipping sand from there to Indiana Harbor Belt at Gibson. My friend who drives truck for them usually makes 3 trips a week to Muskegon. Sand comes by truck from Muskegon to WP is transloaded into hoppers and sent to the IHB.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

What locomotives are on the Michigan Southern property these days? When they had a variety of Alcos I used to use my holidays to snap photos of them. Of course all with the exception of the T-6 are scrapped. It seems that the MSO is doing a good job of finding new business.