2017 End-Of-Year Railfanning Southeast Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

2017 End-Of-Year Railfanning Southeast Michigan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

I want chases of ADBF, IORY, AA, GLC, NS Clinton Industrial, and JAIL. I also want to film AA/GLC Interchange at Osmer, NS Detroit District in Milan and Britton, CSX in LaSalle, CN and NS triple tracks between Erie and Monroe. I want some real answers, any websites, times if known, and really all leads even if they don't add up. I've been trying to chase and film these for an extremely long time, more of an eon.

Please tell me all things that are helpful, directions of trains. Everything.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: 2017 End-Of-Year Railfanning Southeast Michigan

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ambitious you are

Consult the search bar you shall

May the odds be forever in your favor
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SimRacin14
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SimRacin14 »

Saturnalia wrote:Ambitious you are

Consult the search bar you shall

May the odds be forever in your favor
But research is hard!

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:I want chases of ADBF, IORY, AA, GLC, NS Clinton Industrial, and JAIL. I also want to film AA/GLC Interchange at Osmer, NS Detroit District in Milan and Britton, CSX in LaSalle, CN and NS triple tracks between Erie and Monroe. I want some real answers, any websites, times if known, and really all leads even if they don't add up. I've been trying to chase and film these for an extremely long time, more of an eon.

Please tell me all things that are helpful, directions of trains. Everything.
The tracks never go anywhere... drive down and patiently sit, eventually something will happen.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Doing all of these things in less than two weeks is more or less impossible. However, I can give you a guide for GLC chases and for AA chases.

For GLC:

Show up near the Owosso, MI engine shops at around 8am. This is usually when GLC becomes on call. Set up at Oakwood Avenue, just south of the shops for the best view. GLC will bring their engines south through there to hook up to their train in the freight yard a couple blocks southeast. Then, if you have their frequency (which is 160.5750 by the way), you'll quickly learn whether they'll go north to Clare or south to AnnPere/Osmer. If they go north to Clare, you should pick your locations wisely; they do run fast!
My best suggestion would be to set up near the industries along the line and maybe some switching action will occur. They speak over the radio when approaching a spot to switch, so keep your scanner on! Industries that they switch are:

1. Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizers in Ashley

2. A Grain Facility in Ithaca (don't remember the name), they seldom switch here.

3. The Mid-Michigan RR Interchange in Alma (this one doesn't get switched too often, maybe once a week give or take, sometimes less).

4. The Grain Elevator in Shepherd

5. The Mt. Pleasant "yard" which is only used to store cars (south of the Pickard Rd. Crossing)

6. Rosebush Grain Elevator

And then, Clare. In Clare, the Owosso North Turn meets the Cadillac South Turn, and sometimes they'll both be switching in Clare at the same time. This can give you some interesting shots! GLC arrives here in between 12:00ish and 2:00ish, depending on how much they need to switch coming northbound.

If they go south to AnnPere/Osmer, this can also be a cool chase.

The HESR-Owned tracks between Owosso and Durand are not in the best of shape and track speed is only 10-15mph. You'll be able to get ahead of them in multiple places in this 11-mile stretch. Once they reach Durand, they may do some switching before continuing south. A good place to catch them south of Durand is Pitt Junction, where GLC leaves the CN Holly Sub and gets back onto home rails. From Pitt Junction south to Howell, you need to wisely pick locations, as track speed is 40mph and GLC takes no exceptions to this rule. They really fly for a shortline!

Once GLC hits Howell, they may do switching at AnnPere, but visibility is poor. Listen to your scanner to keep up-to-date with switching operations.

If they do not turn around and go back north from Howell, you're in luck! You get to chase them further south to Osmer!

Track speed once again is 40, and GLC will be going fast! Make WISE decisions and don't, I repeat don't screw up navigation. This could put your whole chase in the hole! I know from personal experience. Anyways, eventually, you'll end up in Osmer, where the GLC interchanges with the AA. Cool shots could be captured here too as both trains interchange cars. That is, if both railroads are present at the interchange at that time. This is sometimes the case, other times not. Chasing back north, you should follow these same guidelines.

For AA:

I do not have the best advice for the AA, but I do know these things:

The AA runs a daily train or two north from Toledo to Milan, and return.

The AA runs north of Milan at least 3 times per week, if not more depending on the amount of traffic going north/coming south.

The AA's schedule is quite all over the place, catching them is sometimes just pure luck. Your best bet to see some AA action would be in Milan. They will interchange cars with the NS there. Then, chase them north to Ann Arbor or south to Toledo.

I am not too familiar with the AA's operations south of Ann Arbor, but I do think track speed is 25mph in some spots, 40 in others. North of Milan, track speed is 25mph and you should be able to catch them in 2 or 3 places between Ann Arbor and Milan. In Ann Arbor, there is a 10mph speed restriction, so you should be able to catch them twice in town. Great spots include the bridge over the Huron River or the crossing at Pontiac Trail. Once in Osmer (north of Ann Arbor), they will pick up/set off cars from the GLC. The GLC might be there at the same time, but this isn't a given. There are no major industries to switch between Osmer and Milan, but they might store some cars at Pittsfield Jct. south of Ann Arbor. This only happens a 6-8 times (give or take) a year. I've been lucky enough to see this once.
As stated above, I don't know too much about the operations south of Milan.

I hope this information helps!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

These days the AA is daily and sometimes twice daily up to Osmer between the regular freight and the grain trains.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

ns8401 wrote:These days the AA is daily and sometimes twice daily up to Osmer between the regular freight and the grain trains.
Oh, really? I thought the operations were less than that. I know GLC doesn't run that often to Osmer.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MiRailProductions wrote:
ns8401 wrote:These days the AA is daily and sometimes twice daily up to Osmer between the regular freight and the grain trains.
Oh, really? I thought the operations were less than that. I know GLC doesn't run that often to Osmer.
From what I have seen they usually have the freight in the morning and then a grain extra in the afternoon. But it’s not daily and coming south from GLC it’s usually combined together.