Yuma sand plant reopening?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Yuma sand plant reopening?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

trnwatcher wrote:
trainjunkie47 wrote:That bridge handled the Pacific Daylight and the PM 1225 in the past.
I'm fairly certain SP4449 never made it north of Alma during Trainfest 2009. PM1225 has been to Yuma before but never north of Manton as far as I know.
After the Daylight came through, GLC made a rule. Nothing bigger then 1225 is allowed North of Alma. No exceptions. Apparently some areas were a tad tight with 4449 since thats the largest locomotive to ever venture down there. I bet some of the old AA and Wabash execs turned over in their graves with a Lima-Built SP 4-8-4 rolling on their tracks.
Super Chief wrote:During fall color tours diesels were limited to 10mph over bridge there. 1225 has never ventured north of Manton and last few years has stayed Mt. Pleasant to Cadillac for trips. Side trip this year was to McBain and back with diesel. Going over the bridge in cab of diesel you could feel slight movements.
Feeling a bridge move underneath you... :shock: that has to be unnerving. I was told that if SRI ever wanted to and they forked over a million to GLC that they'd upgrade the bridge for them to allow 1225 north of the Manistee.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
Super Chief wrote:During fall color tours diesels were limited to 10mph over bridge there. 1225 has never ventured north of Manton and last few years has stayed Mt. Pleasant to Cadillac for trips. Side trip this year was to McBain and back with diesel. Going over the bridge in cab of diesel you could feel slight movements.
Feeling a bridge move underneath you... :shock: that has to be unnerving. I was told that if SRI ever wanted to and they forked over a million to GLC that they'd upgrade the bridge for them to allow 1225 north of the Manistee.
Bridges generally move quite a bit under trains...now being able to feel it from the cab isn't generally possible, but it happens.

Go stand on a longer-span road bridge and wait for a truck to come...same thing :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote: Bridges generally move quite a bit under trains...now being able to feel it from the cab isn't generally possible, but it happens.
Speaking from experience? ;-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:
Saturnalia wrote: Bridges generally move quite a bit under trains...now being able to feel it from the cab isn't generally possible, but it happens.
Yes, actually. It may not be my job but I've racked up a few miles over the years.

I've also been under plenty of railroad bridges under trains before, and they do move...some of them A LOT. The Ford River west of Escanaba is my favorite, since standing on the ground you're only a few feet beneath the main girders. That bridge visibly moves up and down! The New Richmond Bridge is actually one of the tamest bridges I've been up real close to.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote:
J T wrote:
Yes, actually. It may not be my job but I've racked up a few miles over the years.
In locomotive cabs?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.