Yuma sand plant reopening?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Yuma sand plant reopening?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

J T wrote:Jon, any idea of the weight restriction on the Hamilton branch, especially with the trestle?
The timetable says you can't, but the line can handle a 6 axle unit at least down to milepost 19. I took an SD40-3 on a ballast train down that far in the summer of 2016 with special permission. There was also a time in the winter of 2014 where Y121 got stuck in the snow on the way to Hamilton, down near the chicken farm, and D700 had to go down there and pull them out with a pair of BNSF SD70s! The bridge itself in Hamilton is not rated for 6 axle units.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

NS 6 axle's have traveled on the GLC Middleton Branch a couple of time's that I have witnessed. Only when picking up there Unit train,GLC unit's handled the move of the empties out to Middleton for switching and spotting purposes.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

railroader and son wrote:NS 6 axle's have traveled on the GLC Middleton Branch a couple of time's that I have witnessed. Only when picking up there Unit train,GLC unit's handled the move of the empties out to Middleton for switching and spotting purposes.
If those even larger units can traverse the Middleton, any SD40-2 can.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

I agree that GLC has one of the best maintained mainlines of any shortline in the midwest. The only questionable branch I could see them on would be the TC branch. As some of you have mentioned, the SD40-2's will do their most damage on poor tracks. The TC branch could (?) be off limits to the SD's because of this. However, the Petoskey Line should be fine for the SD40-2's to run on, as well as the rest of the system.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MiRailProductions wrote:As some of you have mentioned, the SD40-2's will do their most damage on poor tracks.
Big power usually doesn't have a problem with bad track, it is that bad track has a problem with big power, due to more wear and tear.

There's probably nothing physically preventing bigger power from running on any of the GLC main tracks, except perhaps the will or reason to do so.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:As some of you have mentioned, the SD40-2's will do their most damage on poor tracks.
Big power usually doesn't have a problem with bad track, it is that bad track has a problem with big power, due to more wear and tear.

There's probably nothing physically preventing bigger power from running on any of the GLC main tracks, except perhaps the will or reason to do so.
Yes. This too is correct. I'm glad GLC is ready for six-axle power, it's been long enough. I had assumptions that this would eventually happen since the NS SD60I wandered its way up to Clare about a year ago.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

While drilling has slowed down, many old wells are being "re-fracked" The compression forces in the fractures are intense and the sand is gradually crushed over time. Many wells see significant declines in production 12-18 months after they go into production, some 60-80%. Re-fracking can be done at a lower cost than drilling a new well. Conventional thinking is producers turn off the faucet when prices drop and wait for higher prices. But many are saddled with debt and need to stay in production to keep enough cash coming in to cover their debt. I would expect frac sand from Michigan to head mostly to Pennsylvania. There are veins of frac quality sand from northern Illinois up into Wisconsin and in southern Mississippi. There is a surge in sand production in west Texas where they are finding suitable sand laying at the surface.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GP-35 wrote:They will be coming off lease from another railroad and will be going to there home shop for inspection and then heading to the GLC in a few weeks or so.
Which leasing company?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

This months Railway Age says any engine, especially SD40-2's are at the lowest lease rates in many years. Hell, WE'RE GIVING THEM AWAY! Come on down to Sundance Leasing where its always fun and your kiddies can ride the horses!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Doktor No wrote:This months Railway Age says any engine, especially SD40-2's are at the lowest lease rates in many years. Hell, WE'RE GIVING THEM AWAY! Come on down to Sundance Leasing where its always fun and your kiddies can ride the horses!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

For the uninitiated:

Never quite sure if I should laugh or cry when I see those corny ads...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MiRailProductions wrote:I agree that GLC has one of the best maintained mainlines of any shortline in the midwest. The only questionable branch I could see them on would be the TC branch. As some of you have mentioned, the SD40-2's will do their most damage on poor tracks. The TC branch could (?) be off limits to the SD's because of this. However, the Petoskey Line should be fine for the SD40-2's to run on, as well as the rest of the system.
What's that bridge just north of Manton over the Manistee River rated for anyway?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

MQT1223 wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:I agree that GLC has one of the best maintained mainlines of any shortline in the midwest. The only questionable branch I could see them on would be the TC branch. As some of you have mentioned, the SD40-2's will do their most damage on poor tracks. The TC branch could (?) be off limits to the SD's because of this. However, the Petoskey Line should be fine for the SD40-2's to run on, as well as the rest of the system.
What's that bridge just north of Manton over the Manistee River rated for anyway?
That bridge handled the Pacific Daylight and the PM 1225 in the past.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

trainjunkie47 wrote:That bridge handled the Pacific Daylight and the PM 1225 in the past.
I'm fairly certain SP4449 never made it north of Alma during Trainfest 2009. PM1225 has been to Yuma before but never north of Manton as far as I know.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

During fall color tours diesels were limited to 10mph over bridge there. 1225 has never ventured north of Manton and last few years has stayed Mt. Pleasant to Cadillac for trips. Side trip this year was to McBain and back with diesel. Going over the bridge in cab of diesel you could feel slight movements.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
I think that bridge may only handle 4 axle units, but I am not totally sure of that. PM 1225 cannot go over this bridge, which is why a few years back it was only able to go to Manton and no further north.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Bridges are limited by weight, not axles!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Saturnalia wrote:Bridges are limited by weight, not axles!
Pretty sure there's quite a few bridges that are by both weight and axles. This picture should help:
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

~Z~ wrote:
Pretty sure there's quite a few bridges that are by both weight and axles. This picture should help:
For roads, sure. Those are typically in place for short-span bridges on routes where few trucks pass where the weight distribution has an impact on how much you can take over the bridge. Generally speaking those signs are only going to appear on short-span bridges.

You won’t see those in longer bridges because then it won’t make a difference once all the weight is on the bridge itself. The distribution then doesn’t have much of an impact, so you’ll go with basically a single load limit.

Back to trains, hmmm, anybody else see the problem with axles? Trains are hard to classify by axles. Most of the cars have four but the lengths vary. Typically they’ll rate the bridge for a specific weight per car and be done with it. That’s generally 263,000lbs or 286,000lbs, sometimes more sometimes less but 286K is the current industry standard.

Most power weighs more so they factor that separately when they have to. On a bridge like Manton it probably doesn’t make a huge amount of difference between an SD and a GP since it isn’t a short span so the weight distribution won’t matter all that much. Sure the axle loads are less but it’s still a concentrated force over two areas. I’d bet that they look at weight over length when they’re taking a close evaluation over what can pass over, and then they probably also factor in speed. You just can’t classify by axles where they don’t give you a good idea of weight distribution, where they do on trucks. The 1225 has 7 axles to the SD40-2s 6 but their weight profiles are totally different - hence you can’t go off that axle count.

I only know of one railroad bridge with a specific weight distribution rule and that’s CN’s International Bridge at Sault Ste Marie where four empties must be placed between power and loaded cars. However I’m told at some point this will be wiped once they complete their bridge upgrades there to bring it up to 286,000lbs

Good try, but trucks bear little resembelence to trains!

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

I thought the weight part was kind of implied. Oops. I thought axles did play a role in determining what can and cannot go over bridges as well.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

NS3322 wrote:
GP-35 wrote:They will be coming off lease from another railroad and will be going to there home shop for inspection and then heading to the GLC in a few weeks or so.
Which leasing company?
Should be CITX.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side