GM Poletown Plant Production Suspended

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

GM Poletown Plant Production Suspended

Unread post by AARR »

GM is stopping production at its Poletown plant due to low demand for small cars. It’s serviced by CR who built a connection to the plant yard off its Terminal East Industrial track a few years ago even though CN has a direct connection by Milwaukee Jct. On its Mt. Clemens Sub. The plant yard has 40 dock spots but it hasn’t loaded that many cars in years.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GM Poletown Plant Production Suspended

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/12/gm-plan ... -says.html

The plant was regularly switched in the afternoon for the past year by the NY-28 from North Yard. There was usually less than 15 autoracks coming in and out per switch.

ImageNS 5018 - Conrail Hamtramck Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

So, a six week suspension with a 20% production reduction when it comes back on line. So, basically a typical summer shutdown, but in November with some cuts in production.

I know the union will be trying to find another product line for sure; the Volt has been in trouble for awhile, now. I always found it curious they'd produce it as the main product of such a large plant. The last time GM tried an electric vehicle, they smartly did it at the Lansing Craft Center, which was designed for low-volume vehicles. Are there none of those type of plants left in GM's inventory?