CN (GTW) Santa Train?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

CN (GTW) Santa Train?

Unread post by Robertrains »

OK, next month is the "Annual" CN (GTW) Michigan Division "Santa Train." I have not seen a schedule yet for it!!!! Does anyone know anything? It always stops at Flint, Port Huron, Flat Rock and Pontiac!!!! Too bad it won't have the "Classic" E units! At least this train is something to look forward to (I am not ready for Christmas yet)!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I took this picture (Canon® 35mm S.L.R.) of the 2005 "Santa Train," Delray Junction, Detroit, 12-17-2005: Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4360950

Here's the 2013 "Santa Train" I took (Pentax® Medium Format film) with an E-Unit for the last time, Pt. Huron, 12-14-2013: Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4053064
Last edited by Robertrains on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN (GTW) Santa Train?

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Did you see it with the pair of 4-axle geeps last year, Robert? It was nice, but a far cry from when they ran it with the E's a few years ago.
~ Charles W.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Did you see it with the pair of 4-axle geeps last year, Robert? It was nice, but a far cry from when they ran it with the E's a few years ago.

Yes I caught it last year, December 3rd, with two CN GP38-2 painted locos— GTW #4915 and IC 9625! I feel we will hear something soon about this train!!!!

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Can someone confirm that there is a sidewalk on the east side of the highway bridge at Tappan overlooking Tunnel Yard? Thanks.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

CR900945 wrote:Can someone confirm that there is a sidewalk on the east side of the highway bridge at Tappan overlooking Tunnel Yard? Thanks.
Negative on the sidewalk.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Found out there are full width shoulders on each side.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CR900945 wrote:Found out there are full width shoulders on each side.
Did your source also mention the low wires on the east side of the bridge? It's not a bad photo spot, but... bring your wire filter if you're going to shoot from the Michigan Road bridge.
~ Charles W.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Did not know of the low wires. Thank you for updating that.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CR900945 wrote:Did not know of the low wires. Thank you for updating that.
I didn't either, until I looked at my pictures after shooting up there. If you're shooting video, your tripod may be low enough to shoot under them.
~ Charles W.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Are there any photogenic spots along the Mt. Clemens sub other than New Haven?

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

I've seen an interesting photo or two where the MTC Sub crosses the Pine River. Not too far from Port Huron.
CR900945 wrote:Are there any photogenic spots along the Mt. Clemens sub other than New Haven?
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

CR900945 wrote:Are there any photogenic spots along the Mt. Clemens sub other than New Haven?

Mt. Clemens is good! The area by the station off Cass Ave. is nice! Richmond is nice too!!!! I also have heard that the "Belle River Basin" has "Scenic" places (N. of New Haven)! If you look along this line, you will find!
:wink:

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

blueheron13 wrote:I've seen an interesting photo or two where the MTC Sub crosses the Pine River. Not too far from Port Huron.
I've been catching it at Pine River for the past several years...despite the wooden 4x4 sticking up in the air between the end of the bridge and the grade crossing.

There's plenty of room to see the train pass, and plenty of parking. I haven't found a "perfect" spot around here yet, but it meets most of my requirements. However, it is a mile off the paved road, and Ravenswood Road can be less than perfectly smooth, so you'll want to be at the bridge a little before the train shows up.

In the past, I've been pretty successful reaching Pine River from the Amtrak Station when a freight train marks up to go south, but the Santa Train moves a lot quicker than a normal freight train. You may, or may not, be able to shoot from the Michigan Road overpass and make it out to Pine River before the train gets there, but if you try it, you'll have to drive fast and get a lot of lucky breaks along the way...
~ Charles W.

J3rsdm5
Speak softly and carry a big tripod

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

Does anyone know how close the santa train will get to South Lyon? I'm highly familiar with the Plymouth Sub, but I'm lost from there on out.
"If it ain't all red, it ain't red at all"
Image JJRicks Studios

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Nowhere near South Lyon. That town is on CSX. GTW Jackson branch through South Lyon has been gone many years. CN Santa train stays on former GTW or DT&I lines.

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

J3rsdm5 wrote:Does anyone know how close the santa train will get to South Lyon? I'm highly familiar with the Plymouth Sub, but I'm lost from there on out.
The Santa Train will be running on the CN Holly Subdivision and Flint Subdivision the Holly runs between Durand and Pontiac while the Flint runs through Port Huron, Flint, Durand, and Lansing
I'm here

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

When might it most likely go through Holly? Its been on my bucket list for some time to catch that through my hometown.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

MQT1223 wrote:When might it most likely go through Holly? Its been on my bucket list for some time to catch that through my hometown.
Sometime after 11:30 on Sunday the 17th. http://www.gtwtracker.com/2017-cn-santa-train.html

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Got the "2017 CN Santa Train" well! OK, is there one for this year, 2020? Seems as though the "Virus" decides this one! I know CP's "Holiday Train" is not running this year! :(

Here's a picture (Mamiya® RB67™ 120 film camera) that I (RLJ II) took of the 2017 "Santa Train" passing the Durand Union Station, 12-17-2017 (my only time yet from this side of the station): Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5050706
Last edited by Robertrains on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.