Not so good news for Detroit and North Baltimore

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Not so good news for Detroit and North Baltimore

Unread post by Toppysager »

DLM wrote:CSX has closed Detroit for most routings west and south bound in 53' UMXU containers. I have not compared the list to the price guide to see if all lanes are closed. But everything UP appears to be gone. I have not seen any other service cancellations for Detroit service from other vendors. What is odd is the UP just raised UMXU rates on Friday to Detroit from all UP origins by $500 which was after CSX's closing date. Are UP and CSX not communicating?

I know the UP has a cross over penalty of $175 in place for any UMXU container outgated from a UP ramp and ingated at a CSX ramp. It will get worse before it get's better as the UP is not happy with EHH.
CSX Q131-16 was through BG tonight @ 2:11am with 2 UP units leading 72 cars (wells). It appeared to have the standard proportion of UMXU containers
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Not so good news for Detroit and North Baltimore

Unread post by Doktor No »

September 2017 TRAINS mag. Fred Frailey...The Myth Of Intermodal Growth."North Baltimore, Ohio, the sorting yard for CSX intermodal trains, also impresses me as unduly expensive to run, despite the fact hat it was designed to put CSX into shorter haul markets."
Its just like a switch yard for boxcars only using expensive overhead cranes instead of a yard engine and a lead. Every time you load and unload, stack and unstack a container it has a COST. It is also QUANTIFIABLE. I must assume they have already done that study and then made the decision to stop throwing good money at the monster. There are places to make money and also places to lose it. They want to get rid of the latter.
Share price up nicely yesterday too.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.