Ausable Valley RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Ausable Valley RR

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I just caught a glimpse of a promo for the Ausable Valley RR to be on Ch. 9-10 news at 6pm this evening. Something about an old timer retiring I think. Check it out.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ausable Valley RR

Unread post by TC railman »

They are selling the railroad. It's been up for sale for a long time.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

It's a beautiful railroad. But Howard is at the age he's ready to retire. The catalog business is for sale as well.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

http://www.9and10news.com/2017/10/11/no ... -railroad/

This is the last weekend. Sat and Sunday 10 to 5, and done!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

OK, they are now gone forever!!!! Why couldn't they sell the railroad to someone who could operate it? Something should be done! I am so glad I rode this train when I was 15!!!! It was 10-15-1998 (19 years before closing forever)! I also have had much "Stuff" ordered from their Shrader's Catalog!!!! Is that done too? Man, what will the "Future" hold? :|
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Robertrains wrote:OK, they are now gone forever!!!! Why couldn't they sell the railroad to someone who could operate it? Something should be done! I am so glad I rode this train when I was 15!!!! It was 10-15-1998 (19 years before closing forever)! I also have had much "Stuff" ordered from their Shrader's Catalog!!!! Is that done too? Man, what will the "Future" hold? :|
The railroad and the catalog business have been for sale for a couple years. I can only assume no one has wanted to make the investment in time and money to buy it.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I was there last weekend. I was informed that the entire business and their home is for sale. It's possible it could still be bought as a whole and run as a business again. As I looked around, I was thinking it would be a shame to just dismantle all that he has there. That said, I don't think they were getting rich off it. In an earlier interview, he said he built the railroad for his own enjoyment, and started the online business to pay for his hobby. The online business is year around, while the railroad is only weekends through our short summers. And even the weekends aren't too busy, until they announced the closing. I would hate to see the whole thing dismantled and sold. But it is going to take a rich train buff to buy it and keep it going as a business.

His two F7s are pretty neat. They are actual diesel electric locos. The lead unit has a Perkins 80hp diesel, driving a generator. And the trailing unit is an actual 5000 pound slug. All 16 wheels are powered.

I tried to attach a couple photos, but I get an error message that the files are invalid. They are regular jpg pics, and I have posted pic before. But now I can't. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
The image file you tried to attach is invalid.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I would love to buy it, but I think my bank account is about 985K short of being able to pay for it. If someone has a cool mill they won't to give me I would be glad to buy it.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

The railroad was basically the guys toy. It only operated weekends from Memorial day to Labor day, with a couple days in October. The catalog business was a money maker and paid for the railroad. I have no idea what will happen to the railroad, but I just don't see anyone investing a million dollars in that area, for a low volume seasonal business, mainly operating from June to October, only on weekends. Many northern Michigan tourist type businesses are going under, or just struggling along. The railroad was busy the last weekend, but only due to the TV coverage that it was going out of business.
If you missed it, take a ride here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pffmucKyE

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

The catalog business is still in business, in fact, per a phone call yesterday, they will be sending me their newest catalog for an order I'm in the processing of making.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Wonder what the insurance policy costs to be hauling people over those trestles! Or if insurance would be required by law for an operation like that.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The railroad was a labor of love for Howard. He'd been good friends with the original owner of the steam locomotive. Later he ran 14" gauge trains at Hesston until life afforded him the opportunity to build his own railroad.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

The catalog business is still in business,
The catalog business is where the money is. That will continue. If the whole thing doesn't get sold, maybe he will run the trains again next summer. Just guessing there.