questions about NS into Kalamazoo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

questions about NS into Kalamazoo

Unread post by GAP »

When time does the NS typically run into and return out of from Kalamazoo? What would be a "typical" train? I know it would include coiled steel cars to/from Mason but what else? What motive power, etc? So many questions...

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: questions about NS into Kalamazoo

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

If I remember correctly, there are two different NS trains that run in to Kalamazoo now, B33 and B34. B33 originates in Jackson during the week and usually gets into Kalamazoo around midnight. I once saw them on the east yard lead for Gearhart after they died on the law; power that day was a -9, a -8W, and an admiral cab SD40-2. Train lengths can vary depending on what's going to/from the Elk. This video has some good information about B33:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BItCt-joNec

The other train that runs is from Battle Creek. This train is usually only a few cars and uses whatever power happens to be in Hinman (Hinmann?) yard at the time. Again, the last time I saw this job was last winter and they were using two GP38-2s. Usually gets into Kalamazoo around noon or 1-ish.

Hope that helps.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Re: questions about NS into Kalamazoo

Unread post by GAP »

Outstanding video. You've answered my questions. Thank you very much.