AMTRAK Blue Water

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

AMTRAK Blue Water

Unread post by Stinger4me »

Does anyone know if this train runs pretty true to schedule? Thinking of boarding in E. Lansing and going to Chicago, thanks for the help.

Stinger

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: AMTRAK Blue Water

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

You can see the on-time statistics and delay causes here:

https://www.amtrak.com/michigan-service ... teOverview

365 doesn't usually have much trouble on the CN and Amtrak portions of the line unless it's track related, then Amtrak is the issue. The biggest issue is train interference and you don't usually get that until you're on the Chicago Line. Sometimes there will be a drag freight ahead of 365 in the mornings but it isn't often.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the reply. Is it worth the extra $$$ to go Business Class. Returning to Michigan are the same issues in effect?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Stinger4me wrote:Thanks for the reply. Is it worth the extra $$$ to go Business Class. Returning to Michigan are the same issues in effect?
Business Class: Absolutely. I took business class to and from Chicago during my graduation trip and it was far preferable to coach. Free newspaper, a complimentary drink, and peace and quiet. You also have access to the new Metropolitan Lounge at Union Station.

Return Trip: It really all depends on how lucky you are and when you come back. My trip to Chicago was delayed about 45 minutes because the train was thrown behind a two mile freight after it left Port Huron and ran into similar delays on the Chicago Line. However, coming back from Chicago was a breeze. Left right on time and didn't stop anywhere on the Chicago Line for other trains. Only real delay was due to ITCS being down, we could only attain 80 MPH instead of 110, but I believe they fixed that problem.

The delays also depend on the day and time. Later in the evening when traffic begins to die down usually doesn't present any problems. It also helps if it's the weekend, as it's not as busy.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

If my memory serves me correctly we usually board the train from the building on the east side of Canal St., is that where the new lounge is located. In the past it has been a "Cluster F" waiting for the boarding.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Stinger4me wrote:Thanks for the reply. Is it worth the extra $$$ to go Business Class. Returning to Michigan are the same issues in effect?
It's probably most advantageous to take Business class on the return trip, as you can use the Metropolitan (think first class) Lounge; rather than the cattle pens the "peasants" have to use.

I believe you now get more than one free drink when in Biz on board, although it might depend on the crew... I also was on the Wolverine when I found out.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Stinger4me wrote:If my memory serves me correctly we usually board the train from the building on the east side of Canal St., is that where the new lounge is located. In the past it has been a "Cluster F" waiting for the boarding.

All Michigan and Illinois Service trains board on the south side of the station. That would be the east side of Canal, probably somewhere in between tracks 14 and 20.

Boarding for biz class is really nice at CUS. They lead you out a private door and you pretty much jump to the front of the line while the other 300 people are herded into the general boarding area behind ropes.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Agree. I don't find business class worth the extra other than the lounge access. You can buy the drinks and the paper for less than the up charged fare and the seats in coach are fine IMHO.

The lounge access in CUS prior to departure is where it is at though. Worth it for that alone. Great service. Comfortable seating. Complimentary drinks, snacks, bag check, and priority non cattle call boarding. Worth it for that.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Although it should be mentioned that, depending on the upgrade cost; it may be better to not get Biz all together & buy a pass to the Legacy Club in Chicago instead ($20). LC passengers get: a nice waiting room, complimentary refreshments, WiFi, and are the 2nd group* of passengers to board.

The order of boarding Amtrak trains is as follows:
First Class/Metropolitan Lounges
Legacy Club & Disabled
General Coach

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you, thank you for all of the information. Members here have a WEALTH of information. I am glad I posted my inquiry and we will reap the benefits of your experience.

Stinger