ADBF & AA Grain Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

ADBF & AA Grain Trains

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

When are there good chances for chasing grain trains on the ADBF and the AA? I know an ADBF employee, he said it's always unpredictable. I have no clue with the AA, but I would like to start somewhere near Toledo, and work my way north. I might start at Stickney or Sterns in Michigan. Anyway to find out some times? Saturdays are best. Thanks In Advance 8) My YouTube channel is DARAILROADKID, sub me, even though I post other stuff.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Re: ADBF & AA Grain Trains

When does the AA usually run grain trains on Saturday from Ann Arbor going South and Toledo going north? What times on Saturday, or even just any train. I'm trying to get some AA videos for my YT channel DARAILROADKID. All info is greatly appreciated :)

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

It's been a while, but early afternoon used to be a good time to catch ADBF east of Adrian. Depending on how much time to have to snoop around, it's usually obvious when NS has dropped off a unit train as there are hoppers the whole way up the interchange track, even past Beecher Street sometimes. There are some old news stories of the locals not being happy about a 70 car train being pulled off the interchange at 5 mph. Eastbound to Blissfield is mostly down hill and they'll take 20+ cars at a time. Westbound is up hill and they will often cut the train in half at Lenawee Jct, and double the train over the grade into Adrian. The rule of thumb I've heard is that one GP9 can take 7 loaded hoppers up that grade. A normal day will have them working Adrian first and then running to Blissfield, which meanings any grain runs(or anything at all to Blissfield) are mostly in the afternoon. Sometimes there are two crews and the Blissfield turn will leave as soon and their train is built and leave the other crew to do local work.

Regardless, if you are able to check if anything is on the interchange track on a regular basis (of which there are plenty of public grade crossings to look down the track from as you drive by without trespassing) that should give you a good heads up to the upcoming activities.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I read somewhere (newspaper?) that the Blissfield elevator ships 12-24 unit trains annually.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:When does the AA usually run grain trains on Saturday from Ann Arbor going South and Toledo going north? What times on Saturday, or even just any train. I'm trying to get some AA videos for my YT channel DARAILROADKID. All info is greatly appreciated :)
To start out, the AA only runs grain trains to and from Ann Arbor as needed. Usually, it's around 1time per week, with some exceptions like right now when Grain and Corn traffic are high. Then it can be 2 times per week. My advice to you is to search through the GLC location updates tab, since the AA interchanges with the GLC in Ann Arbor. Any GLC movement will mean that the AA shouldn't be too far behind.
Additionally, only on some Saturdays does the Ann Arbor go up to Ann Arbor. They do not go up every Saturday. The schedule is often times jumbled and they can be through on any day of the week, even Sunday. As for what time of day, I've seen/heard them at any time. Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings, Midnight, you name it. Sadly, I cannot help you much on that. The best thing to do is to leave your Scanner on, and if it needs batteries, have multiple packs ready. You'll eventually pick them up if you listen long enough.
With all of that aside, I can tell you this: The Ann Arbor does a daily train between Toledo and Milan. You may be able to catch them more often if you wait along that corridor. Once again, the schedule is jumbled, so I cannot give you specifics.

Sorry for the lack of time information, but this is all I have. Even with living less than a mile from the AA I still can't pinpoint an exact schedule.
Last edited by MiRailProductions on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

MiRailProductions wrote:
Joshua Niederkohr wrote:When does the AA usually run grain trains on Saturday from Ann Arbor going South and Toledo going north? What times on Saturday, or even just any train. I'm trying to get some AA videos for my YT channel DARAILROADKID. All info is greatly appreciated :)
To start out, the AA only runs grain trains to and from Ann Arbor as needed. Usually, it's around 3 times per week, with some exceptions like right now when Grain and Corn traffic are high. Then it can be 5 times per week. My advice to you is to search through the GLC location updates tab, since the AA interchanges with the GLC in Ann Arbor. Any GLC movement will mean that the AA shouldn't be too far behind.
Additionally, only on some Saturdays does the Ann Arbor go up to Ann Arbor. They do not go up every Saturday. The schedule is often times jumbled and they can be through on any day of the week, even Sunday. As for what time of day, I've seen/heard them at any time. Mornings, Afternoons, Evenings, Midnight, you name it. Sadly, I cannot help you much on that. The best thing to do is to leave your Scanner on, and if it needs batteries, have multiple packs ready. You'll eventually pick them up if you listen long enough.
With all of that aside, I can tell you this: The Ann Arbor does a daily train between Toledo and Milan. You may be able to catch them more often if you wait along that corridor. Once again, the schedule is jumbled, so I cannot give you specifics.

Sorry for the lack of time information, but this is all I have. Even with living less than a mile from the AA I still can't pinpoint an exact schedule.
What can kind of scanner do I get, I don't have one, but is there a way to get one on a smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I would like one that is good for shortlines, regionals, hertiage units, and steam locomotives.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

If you're looking for a hand held scanner over on one of the other feeds they suggest the Uniden Bearcat BC125AT is the go to device. There are some scanner apps as well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If I'm reading this right GLC/AA exchange grain trains 3-5x per week? This seems like a high estimate. :?
MiRailProductions wrote:To start out, the AA only runs grain trains to and from Ann Arbor as needed. Usually, it's around 3 times per week, with some exceptions like right now when Grain and Corn traffic are high. Then it can be 5 times per week.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:If I'm reading this right GLC/AA exchange grain trains 3-5x per week? This seems like a high estimate. :?
MiRailProductions wrote:To start out, the AA only runs grain trains to and from Ann Arbor as needed. Usually, it's around 3 times per week, with some exceptions like right now when Grain and Corn traffic are high. Then it can be 5 times per week.
Oh yes, woops. I was thinking about all trains. Grain is usually only about once per week, sometimes less, and right now maybe twice per week. I fixed my original post.
Last edited by MiRailProductions on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

firemedic54 wrote:If you're looking for a hand held scanner over on one of the other feeds they suggest the Uniden Bearcat BC125AT is the go to device. There are some scanner apps as well.
I would agree to that. My BC125AT is lovely paired with a Diamond antenna.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Ok, thanks 8)
MiRailProductions wrote:
AARR wrote:If I'm reading this right GLC/AA exchange grain trains 3-5x per week? This seems like a high estimate. :?
Oh yes, woops. I was thinking about all trains. Grain is usually only about once per week, sometimes less, and right now maybe twice per week. I fixed my original post.

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

I'm no AA expert like some users on this forum, but from what I gathered living in Ann Arbor during college, the AA usually runs its through freight daily in the mornings (7-8am) and in the evenings (anywhere from 6-11pm). Now in fall/winter, that means it comes almost always in the dark. Their thru freights were usually all grain traffic at this time of year. I caught several AA freights while at school and could always hear the horn echoing over town - always distinctive, compared to the Amtrak trains. Hope this helps.