Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 5)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 5)

Unread post by twropr »

I had to trace clear back to Nov. 2016 to find the last report.
Has ANYTHING been happening with track/signal/crossing upgrades on the Michigan Line this summer/fall?
Supposedly last spring enough work had been completed that Amtrak and MDOT had applied to the FRA for speed increases through the curves that had been realigned; however, we are not seeing any speed increases yet.
Supposedly ITCS installation has begun east of Kalamazoo, but we are not seeing any maximum speed upgrades.
PLEASE - anyone familiar with the situation let us know what is going on. Lots of public money has been spent and we haven't seen an results since Amtrak assumed dispatching control of the MI Line several months ago.
Thanks!
Andy

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 5)

Unread post by BDG »

I have noticed that a few more private crossings in the Galesburg/Augusta area have been closed.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Right now MDOT is mostly on hold thanks to want of more funds. The track re-engineering is done between BO and CP Jackson, and CP Ypsi to CP Townline. All of the new signal equipment is also installed, AFAIK.

MDOT needs a funding source for the most difficult section, that is Jackson to Ypsilanti. They're also having difficulty with getting ITCS online west of Battle Creek, for what it sounds like was a misunderstanding between NS and MDOT about who paid for what - since NS will need ITCS in their locomotives to run on the line after ITCS is turned on.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

BDG
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BDG »

Saturnalia wrote:since NS will need ITCS in their locomotives to run on the line after ITCS is turned on.
That brings up another question: Will Grand Elk need ITCS just to travel from BO to Gearhart Yard?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I have heard that the maximum speed has been increased to 79mph from Dearborn to Wayne, and seen a report that the signals on the new #1 track between those locations have been unbagged and activated, but haven't heard any reports that trains are actually using that 2nd track yet. Opening this 2nd track will alleviate the 352/355 meet at the Dearborn Station which can delay 355 if the eastbound is running late.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Amtrak is currently using 2nd track (Track 1) in addition to previous main (Track 2). Both tracks in service for Amtrak from Dearborn to Wayne and from new universal crossover CP21 westward to Ypsi. Track 1 east of CP21 to Wayne is generally used by NS for freight movements. Note - eastbound Track 1 at Wayne has only a dwarf signal for eastbound moves across CSXT. Track 2 eastbound has a regular height signal at CSX. This somewhat confirms that while there are physically two main tracks all the way from Dearborn to Ypsilanti, the line does not support high speed on both tracks west of CSX through Wayne until reaching CP21. This allows NS to make maximum use of Wayne Yard. Wayne and Willow Run are the only yards not conveyed to MDOT ownership.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

CR900945 wrote:Amtrak is currently using 2nd track (Track 1) in addition to previous main (Track 2). Both tracks in service for Amtrak from Dearborn to Wayne and from new universal crossover CP21 westward to Ypsi. Track 1 east of CP21 to Wayne is generally used by NS for freight movements. Note - eastbound Track 1 at Wayne has only a dwarf signal for eastbound moves across CSXT. Track 2 eastbound has a regular height signal at CSX. This somewhat confirms that while there are physically two main tracks all the way from Dearborn to Ypsilanti, the line does not support high speed on both tracks west of CSX through Wayne until reaching CP21. This allows NS to make maximum use of Wayne Yard. Wayne and Willow Run are the only yards not conveyed to MDOT ownership.
Very informative post. Where is crossover CP21 located?
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Just about a 1/2 mile west of Haggerty Road.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

CP21 is a new universal crossover installed in the last couple of years. It was first used a few months ago from what I can determine.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

Amtrak has also used main 1 between CP 18 and CP 9....nice and smooth :)

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

While there is a dwarf on main 1 eastbound at CP 18, still can get limited signals at it for the cross-over moves there......now if only the diamond would get repaired to get rid of that slow order

There seems to be some confusion regarding the use of main 1 between CP 9 and CP 18 by Amtrak....I know for a fact that one day this past week that 353 and 350 both used it---and it rides real smooooooth---another day the 355/352 meet scenario that GP30M4216 mentioned about came into play. 352 was on time and got held at CP 18 for 355 account of the DS not wanting to use main 1 because he thinks it is freight only. Some clarity of this might be in order....

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Last time I had a chat with the signal consultant on the project. The ITCS west of KAL was having issues related to out of date PTC maps and issues making the equipment from the three vendors on the ITCS project talk properly. IIRC they need to solve this before they bring the east end online. The radio based infrastructure has been installed, so from a installation standpoint, the gear is in place, now they just need the time/money to finish testing the east end, and bring the system online. AMTK 518/519 have been doing some ITCS testing in recent months, but the project as far as I know hasn't moved past that phase.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

The only place the 518/519 was testing ITCS recently (like, a month plus ago) was in the Kazoo area....and they still haven't gotten that issue fixed yet

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Anyone know what Michigan Line work is scheduled for 2018?

Also, until recently, was work ongoing between BTL and KAL? It seems like many trains lose 10-15 minutes in this short stretch.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I noticed recently that near the 1451 and 1452 signals in Kalamazoo, near Oliver a street, there are two signposts with yellow squares on them, facing WB. There was no symbol in the squares, just yellow. I don’t recall seeing them there before. What do those signs mean?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Only thing I have noticed is new Intermediate Signals going in west of Lawton to Dowagiac.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

New Diamond going in at Wayne Jct this summer.Heard maybe June or July

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

In the old southeast quadrant or in the southwest quadrant, and for what, exactly?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote:I noticed recently that near the 1451 and 1452 signals in Kalamazoo, near Oliver a street, there are two signposts with yellow squares on them, facing WB. There was no symbol in the squares, just yellow. I don’t recall seeing them there before. What do those signs mean?
Temporary speed restriction

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

PatAzo wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:I noticed recently that near the 1451 and 1452 signals in Kalamazoo, near Oliver a street, there are two signposts with yellow squares on them, facing WB. There was no symbol in the squares, just yellow. I don’t recall seeing them there before. What do those signs mean?
Temporary speed restriction

I saw a bunch of CWR laid out west of the signals and the TSR boards. Maintenance period coming up?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.