Man vs. Train: Marcellus, MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Man vs. Train: Marcellus, MI

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

CN (or CNN, according to the WOOD-TV news article) hit a person listening to music in Marcellus today. Sounds like they were really hauling, because the story pointed out that the train stopped 1.25 miles from the accident scene.

Side note: In all my time railfanning, not once have I ever felt the ground shake when a train passes. Yet the people commenting are all shocked that he didn't feel it. Is the ground shaking a thing or is that just legend?

http://woodtv.com/2017/09/14/sw-mi-man- ... -to-music/
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Man vs. Train: Marcellus, MI

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Side note: In all my time railfanning, not once have I ever felt the ground shake when a train passes. Yet the people commenting are all shocked that he didn't feel it. Is the ground shaking a thing or is that just legend?
Most definitely not a legend!

That being said, it doesn't propagate out in front of the train very far at all. Generally the track creeks for 10-15 seconds before the train, but if you're listening to music or otherwise mentally stimulated you aren't going to notice.

Folks, distracted walking is a thing.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

According to the MLive report he walked across the tracks.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ ... river_home
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

My family property has the former Ann Arbor line west of Cadillac (which is now out of service) running directly behind it. The ground shakes the house from the time the train crosses M-115, a half mile away. It all has to do with geology. That area around the lakes in Cadillac is all sand.

It is a far different story at a friends place in Cowan, Tennessee, right on a fast and busy CSX line. The ground is almost solid rock. No vibration at all.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Does anyone know what train or power was involved in the accident. The train was to far east of town to get the numbers.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Regardless if the ground shakes or doesn't, all you have to do is look both ways when crossing a railroad track. An oncoming train is kinda hard to miss! Perhaps these people are suicidal, and turn up the music to drown out the approaching train. Even with ear buds in, how can you miss a train out of the corner of your eye. You would have to be staring straight ahead. I guess we'll never know.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:I guess we'll never know.
One of life's great mysteries.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote: Sounds like they were really hauling, because the story pointed out that the train stopped 1.25 miles from the accident scene.
Or just a reporter repeating the often stated figures of how long it takes to stop a train. I'm doubtful that in Marcellus it would take 1.25 miles from emergency application to full stop.
hoborich wrote:Regardless if the ground shakes or doesn't, all you have to do is look both ways when crossing a railroad track. An oncoming train is kinda hard to miss! Perhaps these people are suicidal, and turn up the music to drown out the approaching train. Even with ear buds in, how can you miss a train out of the corner of your eye. You would have to be staring straight ahead. I guess we'll never know.
It's the down side of tuning out...you tune out. There are cities starting to put "stop" and "look up" messages on the sidewalk at intersections to try and prevent smart phone users from walking into traffic.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Saturnalia wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:Side note: In all my time railfanning, not once have I ever felt the ground shake when a train passes. Yet the people commenting are all shocked that he didn't feel it. Is the ground shaking a thing or is that just legend?
Most definitely not a legend!
It depends on the location. I recommend that those commenters go to the crossing and stand near it as a train passes by. Then give an honest report of how far away the train was before they could feel it. The trouble is that standing still one would probably notice the vibrations earlier then when walking (since one is creating their own vibrations). But relying solely on vibrations to detect an approaching train would be a problem.

Distracted walking is a thing. I'm surprised more people are not killed.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

justalurker66 wrote: It depends on the location. I recommend that those commenters go to the crossing and stand near it as a train passes by. Then give an honest report of how far away the train was before they could feel it. The trouble is that standing still one would probably notice the vibrations earlier then when walking (since one is creating their own vibrations).
Exactly. It's quite plausible that you wouldn't feel the train approaching quickly behind you as you walk along. However, I just don't get not being able to hear an incredibly loud horn blaring down on you. I commonly hear train horns from miles away, and it boggles my mind that someone can't hear a train horn 50-100 yards away, even with headphones.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

You might consider these things; drugs, alcohol or just being being zoned out. The individual could have serious mental issues. It could also be attributed to "death by locomotive".

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I tend to go with the Death by train scenario, and the ear buds to drown out the approaching train.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Making negative assumptions about a person (you know, human being?) that cannot defend themselves. How brave!