CN transit times - Delays at Pt Huron?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

CN transit times - Delays at Pt Huron?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Based on the distance, I would expect a freight train to take about 2.5 hours between Durand and Pt Huron.

Last night in the CN Updates thread, thanks to ConrailDetroit we tracked 3 trains across the Flint sub.

An eastbound took about 3.5 hours from Durand-Pt H.

399 took 5 hours, and 149 took a full 6 hours.

Is that sort of time normal?
Is there a customs inspection for the westbounds? Or some other explanation?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN transit times - Delays at Pt Huron?

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

There could have possibly been a crew change in Port Huron; delaying travel time. The times reported in Port Huron were the times the trains came out of the tunnel. Other possible factors could be meets with other trains or flooding from the heavy rain.

The customs inspection happens on the Sarnia side at MacGregor. Westbounds are cleared through the tunnel after inspection and if the dispatcher allows them through.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I noticed the track machines (supposedly in town for the rebuilding of the Mount Clemens sub) sitting on the Flint Sub on my way into work yesterday. It was the first time I hadn't seen them sitting on the Mt Clemens sub in the morning. The delays may be related to the work going on here, especially if they're recent. On the other hand, it's not unusual for 149 to be sitting at the west end of the yard (blocking Griswold Road) when I'm on my way in to work in the morning as well.

And to answer the question about Customs, the trains are scanned by US Customs in Sarnia before they enter the tunnel. Once they reach the US side, they are visually inspected by one or more Customs officers, and the paperwork apparently is checked because it's not usual to hear a crew get orders to set out one or more cars with a Customs hold before getting cleared to mark up with the dispatcher and head west. It is rare for a train to reach the US side and depart west in much less than 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour.
~ Charles W.

oldhoghead
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by oldhoghead »

Must have something slowing the train down. I ran flint to port huron many times and if you got GREEN, your butt better be going max mph.Port huron to flint was only 55 mins.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Chasing a WB from Sarnia to Flint was a mighty challenge once it got moving. Maybe the line had speed restrictions due to track maintenance.