Passing of Richard Andrews.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Passing of Richard Andrews.

Unread post by KenB »

Sad News !

It is with deep regret that our long time streetcar buff and historian
Dick Andrews passed away last evening after a long illness.

Dick was one of the authors of the Detroit's Interurban series of books along with Bill Henning and Jack Schramm.

Dick edited ever major book that was published on Detroit and Southeastern Michigan streetcars and interurbans
Dating back to the original CERA book on Michigan that was published way back in 1959.

Dick was a frequent presenter at the Annual Hoosier Traction Meet held in Indianapolis presenting many fine
Programs on various streetcar and interurban operations from across the mid-west.

Dick was a long time member of the Michigan Railroad Club, holding club membership card # 1. He held just about
every elected office that the MRC had including its President, Vice President, Membership chair and editor of the
Michigan Railfan spanning a 50 year plus dedication to the club.

I have been privileged to have known Dick for 40 plus years having met him when he worked with my father,
Jack Schramm and Bill Henning on the CERA published books, "Detroit Street Railways". This was followed by,
" When Eastern Michigan Rode the Rails" series of books.

We made many memorable train and streetcar trips together. I will certainly miss Dick and his years of sharing
Our love of streetcars and trains.

Dick was always the go-to-guy for information regarding almost any streetcar and interurban system that ever
Operated in the U.S. and Canada. He had so many interesting stories to share of his various streetcar and interurban
Trips that he made over the years. Dick had an excellent memory and could recall every detail of when and where
He rode this interurban line in order to connect with another interurban or streetcar line to ride. I will truly miss
Him and his wonderful stories.

At this time, I do not have the funeral arrangements.

Please keep Dick's family in your prayers.

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Passing of Richard Andrews.

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Sad news, indeed. But a good, long life, one that was well-lived. I consider myself privileged to have talked railroad history with him at MRC.

Rest well and peacefully.