CP 160- Amtrak Michigan Line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

CP 160- Amtrak Michigan Line

Unread post by GTW »

Amtrak just ran over a woman laying on the tracks at CP 160 in Lawton.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: CP 160- Amtrak Michigan Line

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Is that the east end or west end?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

that would be east end.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GTW wrote:that would be east end.
Ahh. I just shot some film at the west end the other day...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Now I am hearing it's a 20 year old male.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

GTW wrote:Now I am hearing it's a 20 year old male.
Maybe he self-identified as female...

Sad situation nonetheless. Condolences to the crew that had to deal with the aftermath.
~ Charles W.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

Sad situation nonetheless. Condolences to the crew that had to deal with the aftermath.

Nah, from what I read the caller got the gender wrong.

Question: While reading the comments about this on WWMT's Facebook post, a woman was claiming that Amtrak turned off the power on board and the toilets were overflowing. Her comments sound ridiculous but I was wondering if there would be a reason for Amtrak to cut HEP in a situation like this?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

It sounds so strange, I have to ask. How or why would cutting the HEP cause the toilets to overflow? I can understand that, perhaps, the toilets might not flush. But, whatever bodily wastes that were deposited therein would, by the natural force of gravity, flow into the tank below.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:

Nah, from what I read the caller got the gender wrong.

Question: While reading the comments about this on WWMT's Facebook post, a woman was claiming that Amtrak turned off the power on board and the toilets were overflowing. Her comments sound ridiculous but I was wondering if there would be a reason for Amtrak to cut HEP in a situation like this?
CP 160 on the Amtrak Michigan Line is at N. Main Street (M-40) and the old Michigan Central Depot is at CP 159. All in Lawton.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I can't see any reason why this would be done unless somehow it was a danger to rescue personnel or investigators. I have heard of struck items bouncing up between locomotives and cars and breaking the connections. Perhaps they had to uncouple the consist to access the remains.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

SousaKerry wrote:
I can't see any reason why this would be done unless somehow it was a danger to rescue personnel or investigators. I have heard of struck items bouncing up between locomotives and cars and breaking the connections. Perhaps they had to uncouple the consist to access the remains.
Considering that ITCS is back and Amtrak's running 110 again, who knows where those remains ended up.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Considering that ITCS is back and Amtrak's running 110 again, who knows where those remains ended up.
At 110, in a mop bucket :cry:
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

can't see any reason why this would be done unless somehow it was a danger to rescue personnel or investigators.
More than likely, the remains were under the train and they didn't want any toilets flushing on the rescue workers, or disturbing the evidence. Especially with the train being stopped. Recall the old "Do not flush while train is in station" rules.

Also, whatever happened to just taking too many sleeping pills? Easier on everyone concerned.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

hoborich wrote:
can't see any reason why this would be done unless somehow it was a danger to rescue personnel or investigators.
More than likely, the remains were under the train and they didn't want any toilets flushing on the rescue workers, or disturbing the evidence. Especially with the train being stopped. Recall the old "Do not flush while train is in station" rules.
2017 and Amtrak does not have retention toilets? Don't tell the environmentalists.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

hoborich wrote:
Recall the old "Do not flush while train is in station" rules.
The only train I've been on that toilets flush directly on the tracks was the Polar Bear Express in Northern Ontario https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Bear_Express and that was over 30 years ago. It could be that Amtrak toilets have an electric macerator that grinds up the waste and pumps it to a holding tank. That might explain why the toilets didn't work with the power off.