Muskegon

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Muskegon

Unread post by C&O6088 »

I was in the Muskegon Area on Wednesday and noticed alot of shuttered areas where there used to be customers. In the last several years Michigan Shore has lost: Sappi Papermill as it's closed and nearly demolished; Nugent Sand is either done or near done; Sand at the Barry Junction seems inactive; Fremont Gerber doesn't ship and Co-Op down to a few cars and may be in jeopardy with new plant in White Cloud; No more customers at the Mart Dock.

Only customers that seem strong are Bayer; the Terminal Siding by M-120 and Webb Chemical. Within a few years could Muskegon really be down to 3 customers? Any efforts being made to transload or bring an industrial customer to Muskegon that utilizes rails (like the new wood chip plant in Grayling)?

C&O

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: Muskegon

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Is Bay Logistics still active between Muskegon and Grand Haven? Satellite imagery shows a couple boxcars on their spur. I don't know if it counts since it's farther south.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Bay Logistics shipped automobile bumpers for Shape Co. at a rate of 3 to 5 cars per day until 2013 when Shape opened a new facility in Chicago. Since then, Bay has only seen a handful of cars. I am not sure what, if anything, goes in or out of there anymore. I've not been in the area for a while. This may have changed as of recent.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Bay was supposed to receive news print for Grand Rapids Press but I don't think that ever happened. The Shape shipments took up most if not all of the warehousing space.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...