Sand?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Sand?

Unread post by TC railman »

Sand company by mesick.
Attachments
Is this still a costumer?
Is this still a costumer?

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: Sand?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

TC railman wrote:Sand company by mesick.
That's the Yuma sand place that shut down a while back. It's old satellite imagery.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Closed in 2016 IIRC. Too bad they couldn't make it with frac sand. It had the capacity to process and ship it economically. But apparently the sand was poor quality for fracking.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

AARR wrote:Closed in 2016 IIRC. Too bad they couldn't make it with frac sand. It had the capacity to process and ship it economically. But apparently the sand was poor quality for fracking.
Back in late 2011 i had a delivery in there at Fairmont Minerals i was talking with a few people there. I told them i heard rumors that this place only had a few more years of operation the one person told me naaaa isn't going to happen we got enough sand here to last a very long time over 20 years. That's to bad these guys didn't know what was around the corner. They let me stand on the edge of the huge sand pit. They gave me free roam of the facilities. I got pretty lucky that day. They also told me there was 17 loads of sand to be picked up by the GLC that day. They where loading the cars when i was standing there.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

If I remember right, this was where GM's Defiance Foundry got their sand. They however have ended casting iron there (leaving just the aluminum lines) which I'm sure didn't help things.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GM's sand came from Muskegon (for many years from the plant along the shore and the last couple years from a transload at Berry Jct.).

The sand from Yuma went to Ford in Cleveland (around 325,000 tpy) where Ford had three foundries. The last 10 or so years a few other customers were picked up including Ford engine in Canada, someone in Mexico, someone in VA and possibly another one around Cincinnati.
MSchwiebert wrote:If I remember right, this was where GM's Defiance Foundry got their sand. They however have ended casting iron there (leaving just the aluminum lines) which I'm sure didn't help things.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...