Suspicious bag found in BC rail yard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Suspicious bag found in BC rail yard

Unread post by NS3322 »

http://wwmt.com/news/local/police-evacu ... icious-bag
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - The Calhoun County Sheriff's Department is investigating after we're told a suspicious item was found at the Canadian National Rail Yard in Battle Creek Tuesday night.

Police sources tell Newschannel 3 that on Tuesday evening, someone located a bag hanging from a rail car at the CN rail yard on Emmett Street. Multiple calls came in to Newschannel 3, indicating that evacuation orders were in place for approximately a mile radius from the rail yard, including C.O. Brown Stadium. The Battle Creek Bombers were at home Tuesday night taking on the Rockford Rivets.

After an investigation, Battle Creek Police told Newschannel 3 that the bag just contained trash.

The evacuation order has since been lifted, and we're told people are being allowed back into their homes.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Suspicious bag found in BC rail yard

Unread post by hoborich »

"A mile radius"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Depends what kind of car the bag was hanging on. If someone attached an explosive device in a bag to certain placarded tank cars, I can see an evacuation of at least a one mile radius. It kinda makes one wonder who would deliberately attach a bag filled with anything to a railcar.
~ Charles W.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Depends what kind of car the bag was hanging on. If someone attached an explosive device in a bag to certain placarded tank cars, I can see an evacuation of at least a one mile radius. It kinda makes one wonder who would deliberately attach a bag filled with anything to a railcar.
Another news source said it was hanging under an autorack. The evacuation was because of hazardous tank cars that were located nearby.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

NS3322 wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Depends what kind of car the bag was hanging on. If someone attached an explosive device in a bag to certain placarded tank cars, I can see an evacuation of at least a one mile radius. It kinda makes one wonder who would deliberately attach a bag filled with anything to a railcar.
Another news source said it was hanging under an autorack. The evacuation was because of hazardous tank cars that were located nearby.
Makes sense, I suppose. It makes me wonder how often something like that happens and nobody notices or cares...
~ Charles W.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

With all the "illegal" travelers that use the nations railroads as their own personal conveyance and all the stuff they leave behind/on board the cars they ride is unbelievable. IF I freaked out every time I found some thing "Not normal" around the railroad , well lets just say that a lot less would be done. When I first read this I thought a train crew was just taking out the trash and missed the gon he was aiming at :-). Again that common sense thing does wonders.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

M.D.Bentley wrote:With all the "illegal" travelers that use the nations railroads as their own personal conveyance and all the stuff they leave behind/on board the cars they ride is unbelievable. IF I freaked out every time I found some thing "Not normal" around the railroad , well lets just say that a lot less would be done. When I first read this I thought a train crew was just taking out the trash and missed the gon he was aiming at :-). Again that common sense thing does wonders.
I was at Millbury, OH with my friend and we noticed a suspicious looking shape wrapped in a plastic bag... we thought it could be a body (probably not though) so we didn't get much closer than 15 feet from it.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q