Lakestate on the ground

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Lakestate on the ground

Unread post by hoborich »

LSRC has I think a loco on the ground in Roscommon. Heard it on the cop scanner. A couple people called to report several streets blocked by a train. Cops checked. LSRC said to expect the streets to be blocked for an extended period of time. A cop said there was a collision with some kind of track equipment, causing the derailment. No apparent injuries to anyone.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lakestate on the ground

Unread post by Super Chief »

According to UpNorthVoice switch was left open into the siding and train with 12 cars went into the siding smacking the repair equipment. Main is torn up with ties and rail out of alignment in several places. Sounds like the MOW forces left the switch in wrong position as crash happened at 10:30 pm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

And that's why there is a switch position report requirement...at least on CSX...between a crew using a switch in non signaled territory and the dispatcher. Permission to unlock and open switch from dispatcher, time and date, switch closed and locked, time and date with initials. Prevents this sort of foolishness...for lack of a better term.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

All the switch reports in the world don't do squat to deter a determined misguided youth hell bent on causing chaos. Not saying that is the case here but I have seen many a switch stand with hammer marks all over them. Mangling the targets is another way to give a crew a heart attack as well.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Doktor No wrote:And that's why there is a switch position report requirement...at least on CSX...between a crew using a switch in non signaled territory and the dispatcher. Permission to unlock and open switch from dispatcher, time and date, switch closed and locked, time and date with initials. Prevents this sort of foolishness...for lack of a better term.
Pretty sad when you have to hold employees hands all the time. Probably why CSX service sucks, things like this slow down operations.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Safety pre cautions is not the cause of CSX's challenges. The loss of coal traffic is a significant reason for CSX's issues and there's not anything they could have done about that.

And the reason companies develop procedures is to prevent accidents especially serious ones just like what happened on LSRC. Unless it was vandalism then it's more difficult to control.
Waddy wrote:
Doktor No wrote:And that's why there is a switch position report requirement...at least on CSX...between a crew using a switch in non signaled territory and the dispatcher. Permission to unlock and open switch from dispatcher, time and date, switch closed and locked, time and date with initials. Prevents this sort of foolishness...for lack of a better term.
Pretty sad when you have to hold employees hands all the time. Probably why CSX service sucks, things like this slow down operations.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Waddy wrote:
I love it when people talk out of their rear end. If you don't like that procedure, take it up with the FRA as it is an industry wide requirement.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... k-switches

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

From 9 and 10 "News". Ignore the ignorant residents comments about locking up the brakes and slamming it into reverse. LOL The MOW crew was working in the area yesterday. It appears at least, that they put their equipment in the siding and someone unknown did not reline the switch for the main. Didn't appear to be vandalism. Engineer said he saw the switch was wrong, but couldn't stop in time.

http://www.9and10news.com/story/3602524 ... in-crashes

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/train ... -on-tracks
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

All of a sudden I hear it slam on its brakes. When you have two engines, it locks up their breaks and throws it into reverse.
Gotta love the comments from the local morons. Apparently LSRC has a new fangled device that when you have two engines it brEAks them and then throws them into reverse. must be hell on the windings and switchgear. :lol:

I would hate to be anywhere around that contactor when that arcflash blows the doors off.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

I thusly assume waddy you have never worked on a railroad and are content watching choo choo trains go by and then commenting about things you obviously know nothing about.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Doktor No wrote:I thusly assume waddy you have never worked on a railroad and are content watching choo choo trains go by and then commenting about things you obviously know nothing about.
Well you know what what happens when you assume lol. We operate under Yard Limits. So eat your words. We never use a form just simply say lined and locked, even when operating over CSX.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Waddy wrote:
Doktor No wrote:I thusly assume waddy you have never worked on a railroad and are content watching choo choo trains go by and then commenting about things you obviously know nothing about.
Well you know what what happens when you assume lol. We operate under Yard Limits. So eat your words. We never use a form just simply say lined and locked, even when operating over CSX.
WAG here, but thinking Waddy works for GLC. I could be way off, but I know someone there (retired a few years ago) and he used "lined & locked" as their accepted practice.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.