Alma

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Alma

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I was in Alma the other day and it looks like Mid Michigan is storing even more cars by where the refinery use to be. Anything special going on in the area?

Also in Ithaca a new string of cars is by the new Soy Bean facility off of 127. Is there any news on expected rail service for that area that would need these cars.

Lastly. I know Mid Michigan and GLC run through Alma. GLC I think goes up to a quarry to the North and a few small businesses as well. I guess they run one train a day. How often does Mid Michigan come to town and where do they come from and go too?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Alma

Unread post by AARR »

The sand mine in Yuma closed around 2016 so GLC doesn't go there any more. Average train from Cadillac seems around 15-20 cars. Butane and Cement is good business north of Cadillac. They have some good customers in Mesick too and then the transload in Clare is very busy.

MMRR services a small drilling company in Alma but other than that interchange with GLC is their only other Alma business. All other customers are east of Alma.
wagnew0923 wrote:I was in Alma the other day and it looks like Mid Michigan is storing even more cars by where the refinery use to be. Anything special going on in the area?

Also in Ithaca a new string of cars is by the new Soy Bean facility off of 127. Is there any news on expected rail service for that area that would need these cars.

Lastly. I know Mid Michigan and GLC run through Alma. GLC I think goes up to a quarry to the North and a few small businesses as well. I guess they run one train a day. How often does Mid Michigan come to town and where do they come from and go too?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The Mid-Michigan engine house is in Alma. Every day they operate they usually start and end in Alma. Some days the Alma crew runs the GRE out of Grand Rapids.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

AARR wrote: They have some good customers in Mesick too and then the transload in Clare is very busy.
Mesick??? Me thinks you mean McBain, old timer....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You're are right Buster, McBain is what I meant :oops:
Buster Manning wrote:
AARR wrote: They have some good customers in Mesick too and then the transload in Clare is very busy.
Mesick??? Me thinks you mean McBain, old timer....
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

I was through there today and noticed the SGVY high sided gons and the covered hoppers just east of the Republic Ave. crossing behind the remains of the Lobdell Emery Buildings.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Did Zeeland Farm Services ever complete that facility in Ithaca? Thought they were going to finish the buildings and the yard? Do they ever use rail, a lot of their trucks are on SB 131 every day headed to where? Obviously GDLK doesn't get their business in GR?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I believe ZFS is building a soybean processing facility on the ethanol site in Ithaca. What business in GR did GDLK not get? ZFS is also a trucking company / broker. A friend of mine drove for them as an owner operator for SB for Padnos. The rail traffic out of Padnos Turner seems to be less the last while. For a while CSX was switching a half dozen or more gons 5 nights a week.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

They're busy getting that place in Ithaca put together. In the last week they poured 2 concrete silos sw of the 2 metal ones they put together over the last month. Glc pulled the covered hoppers maybe the week of the fourth. The old sand cars are still there. Last week a long string of plastic cars with an empty beam car on the end showed up out there. A day or so later the beam car vanished. When I was by there Friday the plastic cars were still there.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

The Asphalt plant in Alma is getting car's again,there was a few spotted in there this past Wednesday..

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

A long string of plastic cars? Made by Athearn, I suppose?

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Has the Cargill plant starting going in at Owosso?