Railroad Police

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
rettop
Railroadfan...fan

Railroad Police

Unread post by rettop »

Does the Grand Elk employ any form of police? Now don't get too excited but it would be possible to hop the train going north to GR and get off as it slows going into the yard, or by 28th street; or vice versa. Keep your hats on,we all know the legal issues involved!!!

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railroad Police

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Did you really just come here and ask our advice on committing a crime?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I knew of a guy back when I was in college who jumped on a train in Elkhart and rode it all the way to the Pittsburgh area. It didn't slow down near Goshen or wherever he thought he was going to jump off at. And NS has plenty of RR cops out and about. If you're determined to do something on RR property, don't let fear of getting caught slow you down. There are plenty of other cops out there just as capable of arresting you for trespassing if someone sees you on RR property...
~ Charles W.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The Grand Elk does not employ its own police force. It would be possible to hop the train between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids. The question is it possible to hop the train and not get inured or caught? For that I'd say go to You Tube and look for the Brave Dave videos. Brave Dave is a guy from the U.K. who has traveled to Canada a few times and hopped trains. In Brave Dave's Big Fat Train Hop he goes from Montreal to Vancouver. It's probably his best video. Watch it and judge for yourself. I imagine now there are fingers quivering over key boards ready to blister anyone discussing train hopping. But hey, it's no worse than the dribble about the pedestrian getting hit in Hartford and day dreaming isn't a crime.

rettop
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rettop »

Middle Mi did you read my post--it was a question about whether they had a police force and also referring to the legal issues involved--I guess you cant keep your hat on. Also I am 74 years old and don't intend to hop trains!!!!!

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Grand Elk does not have its own police force. However, the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety patrols the area regularly (as the surrounding neighborhood is not the greatest) and are not hesitant to enter the yard area if something appears amiss. Several years ago I witnessed a manhunt take place. I don't know the reason behind it, but they found who they were looking for with the K-9.

If the train crew suspects an unauthorized person is on board, I wouldn't be surprised if they had the fuzz waiting for them at some point.

Apart from the legality, it's just plain dangerous, especially with all the starts and stops that a GR bound train has to make in order to leave Kalamazoo. Not recommended.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

rettop wrote:Middle Mi did you read my post--it was a question about whether they had a police force and also referring to the legal issues involved--I guess you cant keep your hat on. Also I am 74 years old and don't intend to hop trains!!!!!
Then why did you ask such a stupid question? Or are you just trolling to see what happens? At 74 I would ASSUME you should know better but then again I can always be wrong on that account.
I also assume by your age that perhaps you are asking for someone else then? Ahh the romance of the rails, getting crushed by a shifting load or falling beneath the wheels...the wind in your hair....
Naaa, just plain stupid.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

rettop
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rettop »

I am not the answer to some of the posters metal health issues--just look at Dockor No's picture!!

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

rettop wrote:I am not the answer to some of the posters metal health issues--just look at Dockor No's picture!!
What does that even mean?
As for the pic? I didn't put it up but I do like it just the same.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Lolz, I added Doktor No's avatar. :). thread sucks; locking, thank you, drive thru.

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com