Propsed Steel manufacturing in/near Durand

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Propsed Steel manufacturing in/near Durand

Unread post by Doktor No »

They are looking for a $7 plus billion loan for their plant. Hold NOT thine breath.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Also, in a state surrounded by water (the most economical way to transport the bulk materials a large steel plant requires) they're going to build an inland steel mill. Like Dok says, don't hold your breath.
Doktor No wrote:They are looking for a $7 plus billion loan for their plant. Hold NOT thine breath.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

we have the room along the Saginaw river. Ships can bring in the iron ore, drop it here. i'm sure HESR wouldn't mind the haul from Bay City to Durand of the iron trains. Just a random thought.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

New Steel International appears to be a consulting company, not a steel manufacturer. They proposed a similar project in Ohio 10 years ago. Off the bat I'm doubtful about an integrated steel mill being build in Michigan. Globally steel suffers from over capacity already. A cursory Google search didn't turn up any air permit applications and you can't turn one shovel of dirt without permitting in place. My take is this is a consulting company churning their idea to see if it takes.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

PatAzo wrote:New Steel International appears to be a consulting company, not a steel manufacturer. They proposed a similar project in Ohio 10 years ago. Off the bat I'm doubtful about an integrated steel mill being build in Michigan. Globally steel suffers from over capacity already. A cursory Google search didn't turn up any air permit applications and you can't turn one shovel of dirt without permitting in place. My take is this is a consulting company churning their idea to see if it takes.
Interesting indeed. It seems far fetched to me that a steel mill would be built in or near Durand of all places; mostly for logistical reasons. But, you never know. It may not be completely out of the realm of possibility. Just mostly.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

It would be very nice to have "Steel" manufactured in Durand!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Wow, even powered by "Coal!!!!" Now, here is a "Link" about the proposed Steel Manufacturing Plant: http://www.abc12.com/content/news/Repor ... 01083.html
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

There are some interesting comments in this article.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -mill-plan